Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New article by Ernest Purdum: Shutters - History and Use

Re: New article by Ernest Purdum: Shutters - History and Use

Thank you, JasonC. I've wondered about the Worsching ever since first reading of it in a Modern Photography article about Lens & Repro in about 1975. Thanks!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Not to be argumentative, but...

Yes, the Compounds were made in all sizes around 1910. The the Compurs took over, and were the model of choise for sizes 00 to 2 for the best part of the century - at least 60 years. In this period the Compounds were still made in sizes 3 (two versions), 4, and 5 (two versions).

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    That's correct Kerry, but my point was that as long as the Compounds were made there were no Compur #3's. Until the "new" Compur shutters were introduced, size 3, 4 and 5 were Compounds and all Compurs were 00 to 2.
    Ole,

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. From your quote: "One minor niggle though: Compur shutters were made in sizes 00 to 2 and Compound in 3 to 5, and not 00 to 3 and 4&5 as the article states.", it sounded like you were saying there was no such thing as a Compur 3. Obviously there was, but as you say, it came later.

Kerry

Hi Ernest, a really nice overview, I think you touched all the important points. A small correction for your next version: That old German behind the lens shutter you mention is called "Grundner", not "Grundmann". Pretty rare, I have seen them on the German ebay about once or twice a year.

Nice article. Another correction: it's www.flutotscamerarepair.com/ --with an "s" on flutot.
    Last edited by Jay Wolfe; 14-Nov-2006 at 16:46.

Arne and Jay, thanks for the corrections.

Just stumbled upon this article and reply thread by Ernst Purdum. Rest In Peace Mr. Purdum!
    I happened to have stumbled upon his estate after he passed away and I bought a good amount of stuff that he collected such as shutters and lenses. I wish I would have been a little more knowledgeable at that very moment because now I know I passed up some amazing items there that i could have had for 1/10th the real value or less. The thing that really made me sad is that the store wanted to throw away Mr. Purdum's hand-written (with parts of it typed) manuscript - luckily I got it jut in time. I don't know what to do with it though - I feel it should be published somehow, but I have no idea how. If anyone wants to chime in on this I would be happy to listen to any ideas. I'm in San Diego, CA.

Yes, his manuscripts should be preserved!

Let us put our heads together on this!

Perhaps offer it as a download like the Vade Mecum for historic lenses?
    No doubt it would need some vetting---perhaps an MFA candidate might take it on as a project in lieu of writing a thesis? There are several educators on board here who might be able to hook you up with a motivated graduate student.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

As we discussed before, I'd be interested in helping make the information available... but still not able/interested in paying lots of money to buy the manuscripts.