Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Lenses, 5X4, Linhof Master T V

Large Format Lenses, 5X4, Linhof Master T V

Hi Can anyone advise me on the best and longest lens and the best and widest angle lens I can set up and use easily for use on my Linhof Master Technigue V. Has anyone any experience of using very wide angle lenses on this Linhof with (upto) 5x4 film. I have had the camera for years (with a 90 & 150lens) but have hardly used it. I now no longer want to damage myself further carrying around a Sinar. Any ideas experience out there.

Re: Large Format Lenses, 5X4, Linhof Master T V

It depends on what you consider "easy." The widest lens I use on my Tech V is a 55/4.5 Apo-Grandagon. With a helical mount, you could go shorter than 55mm. Between 55mm and 65mm you need the wideangle focusing device (or I suppose a helical mount could work for that too). 72mm is the shortest you can use on the main rail in a recessed board without the wideangle focusing device.

The longest lens that can be cammed is 360mm, though you've got about 17.5" of bellows, so you can use as long a lens as you have bellows for, if you are focusing with the groundglass.

using an extension lens board, i shoot with a fuji 450-C on my tech. i've also owned a larger nikon 450-m and can not tell the difference in performance. the fuji is so small that IMHO it's the better option.

without exra devices probable 72mm - 300mm or 400 tele design

There is no "Master Technique V." You either have a Master Technika or a Technika V. For purposes of your question it doesn't make much difference, the cameras are essentially identical except that the top flap on the Master makes it easier to use front rise with a short lens.

Linhof's spec sheet for the Master Technika shows a maximum bellows extension of a tad over 15 inches and the Tech V isn't any longer than the Master AFAIK. I've never measured my Tech V and Master Technika but I've always assumed the spec sheet was accurate. If it is, and if you follow the guideline of having a minimum of an extra 15% of bellows extension beyond infinity for the focal length of your longest normal lens, then a 300mm or so lens would be the most common maximum focal length on a Technika (ignoring a telephoto design, which would probably get you out in the 500mm range). However, if you don't mind giving up a little close focusing distance you could go as long as 14 inches (350mm or so). The extra one inch will still get you fairly close, probably close enough for most situations given the fact that you don't usually buy a long lens mainly for close-ups. I use a 300mm Nikon lens on my Tech V and Master Technika, I've never tried anything longer, partly because based on the spec sheet anything much longer would limit my close focusing distance more than I want.

A 75mm lens in a recessed lens board is usable on a Tech V but front rise is limited. It's easier on a Master Technika, where the top flap allows more front rise. According to the Master Technika owners manual 75mm is the widest you can use on any Technika other than the 2000 without the close focusing device. That's the widest I've used on my Tech V and Master Technika. But obviously some people are going shorter than that. Don Kirby uses a 58mm on a Tech IV or V but I don't remember how he does that, maybe the way David mentions.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The extension of a Tech IV or later is about 17.5", if you count the back extension. I think the figure of around 15" is without the back extended.

Hi David - I wondered whether that was where you got the 17" number. I thought that I asked that question here or in another forum some years back and Bob Salomon answered by saying the 15" number included the back extension. However, the specs in the "Linhof Practice" book are "maximum bellows extension 15 3/4" and "camera back extension" 1 3/8", implying that the 1 3/8 is in addition to the 15 3/4 so you're probably right.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I just measured my Tech V, and I get 17" from the front of the lensboard to the film plane with the back extended.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I apologise (following Brians comment) it's a Master Technika. The camera has been carefully stored for around 15 years while I have used the Sinar but is now out of wraps so I want to extend my lens range then add to the 2 sheets of polaroid used all those years ago.

Sorry again for my ignorance but can anyone explain the wideangle focusing device. I have occasionaly had problems focusing with wide angle lenses on other large format cameras. Is this usually ok on the Linhof with such lenses?