Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who to contact for a tripod permit in NYC

Terence

Re: Who to contact for a tripod permit in NYC

I've had good luck talking to the station master and the police first in the NJ Transit station (Hoboken Trerminal). NJ Transit now has a policy specifically allowing photography in public areas of their stations, but the tripods seem to be at the NJ Transit Police' discretion.

PATH is a whole other world. I once went and got a permit from them but the hassle wasn't worth it to me to ever do again.

In NYC, if I'm planning to be in an area that's like to have ANY real crowd I'll file for the free permit. I've only been "hassled" twice and both times had a permit. The cops were very polite. Often times cops are interested and stop and ask if they can take a look at the ground glass.

I have been hassled in the NYC subway (never even tried a tripod, as I knew they were verboten), but a polite discussion has usually resolved the matter. I've only lost the battle twice, when I didn't have time to really make an issue of it.

My advice, if you can, get a permit and get it with fairly general locations. It's free, anyway. And if you're in a "grey" area, politely let any police, etc. know what you are doing. Don't ask them, as this opens the door for them to say "no." Just say, "I just wanted to let you know I'm going to be photographing blah blah blah. It's non-commercial. Just a hobby, etc."
    Last edited by Terence McDonagh; 13-Nov-2006 at 16:10.

Wow, I can't believe that you really need a permit for NYC. I can see that it makes some sense if you are shooting a movie of some kind where you would have a whole crew, lighting equipment, and enough people and stuff to basically block pedestrian traffic. But to need one for setting up a tripod for 15 minutes? Doesn't make sense.

But I do believe the stories of people shooting without permits since the cops must have so much more to worry about in the big city, other than some guy with a tripod, such as robberies, crime, car accidents, bums hasseling people, crazy homeless people...etc.

But it does make sense to get one if its that easy....

For any new people finding this thread. A permit is no longer required as of Oct, 2007 for use of a tripod unless you are doing a big production. The new rules are posted online.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Page View Post
    For any new people finding this thread. A permit is no longer required as of Oct, 2007 for use of a tripod unless you are doing a big production. The new rules are posted online.
    About time!

Optional Permits

When a permit is not required, it is possible to apply for an optional permit. A person wishing to apply for an optional permit would present much of the same documentation as someone seeking a required permit (e.g. request for dates, times and locations and contact information). Liability insurance is not required in connection with an optional permit. Sometimes there has been confusion as to whether or not a permit is required. As a result, and as an accommodation to filmmakers, MOFTB has routinely issued permits in those instances where a permit is not required. The rules are consistent with this longstanding practice. The optional permit remains free of charge.