Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about field cameras

Re: Tell me about field cameras

How light you want to go? With a Speed or Crown Graphic you don't need a tripod in handheld mode. If you require a tripod look at Gowlands(monorail) the new Argentiums or the old Nagaokas(self boxing styles)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks again. I would prefer durability over light-weight.

So...
    At this point (window shopping) Im going to try to look at these models in person:

Toyo 45CF - This seems like it may be the most durable of the group, although composits sometimes aren't the most shock-resistant. I am sure that on the used market I can find one for around $400-$500 range.

Tachihara 45 - Im not really a fan of the looks, but we'll see what its like to actually use. $595 new.

Shen Hao HZX 4x5 IIA - This might be my favorite out of the bunch, shame its not completely metal...But I do like the blacked out controls, rear rise/swing etc. It also looks to fold up nicely. $595 new, however I will have to talk to a friend of mine who lives in ShangHai and see how much one can be gotten for there.

Super Graphic - this looks like it may be the most durable of the group. Im not a fan of the rangefinder, flash control, etc etc. But for something rough and tough, this may be the best option. I have yet to see some used market prices, but there's one on ebay right now for around $225 with a couple of days left.

Thanks again,
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve H; 7-Nov-2006 at 13:59.

Since nobody has asked this yet I will.
    What are the minimum and maximum focal length lenses you want to use? Answer that question and then choose a camera that will accommodate them.

I vote for the Tachihara. It can handle lenses from 75mm to 300mm on flat lens boards. It folds up very small and it's light weight.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
    Lets put the price (on the used market) at $700 or less for the body and one lens board.
    I got my Wisner Technical Field used, for less than $700.

It has enough bellows draw to acommodate my Fujinon 450C at much closer than infinity, and let me focus a 240mm Fujinon A at 1:1.

Unless you're planning to climb mountains, it's the same basic size/weight as my old Tachihara, and extends further than my old ArcaSwiss Discovery. It is just as rigid too.

If it is durbility you want then a Zone VI is a good choice. I have been using one since 1989 and never had a problem. It has more than adequate movements for my needs, landscapes. Although it doesn't support shorter than 90mm with out a different bellows. But it does have a 22 inch bellows extension. They can be readily had on e-bay at any time.

lazy retired bum

I am the member listing the Toyo Field 45A in the FS section. I am obviously biased but did use this camera for some time and made great images with it. I am selling it because for a milestone birthday, don't ask which one, I decided to get my dream camera, an Arca Field. It doesn't make any better photos, the lens does that, it's just what I've wanted for some time.

The Toyo is quite durable, metal does have some advantages over wood, and I believe reasonably light weight. I recall weighing it at about 5.5lb. You can look at my description in the ad and the referenced specs at the Toyo website. Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions if it sounds interesting to you. The price is negotiable and I have a bunch of lensboards as well, including a hard to find deeply recessed one. I'd be willing to make some concessions to the purchaser of the camera.

Thanks.

Eric

"I used to through my Technika into a backpack and let it bounce around in the trunk -- pretty rugged compared to a Tachihara."

I've owned two Technikas and a Tachihara. I don't abuse cameras but I don't treat them with kid gloves either. I never had any problems of any kind with the Tachihara in the three years or so that I used it. The Technikas have been another story - I've had them to Marflex at least five times for repairs probably totalling several thousand dollars. Twice the Technika V fell out of an open back pack as the pack was being lifted, a distance of a foot or two, onto a soft dirt path. Both times the camera landed on one of back knobs, both times the internal knob mechanism was damaged. Then there was the front standard release mechanism that stuck in position on the Master Technika so that I couldn't use front tilt. And then there was the front standard tilt locking mechanism on the Tech V that stopped locking. And there was the time the wind blew the tripod over and the back was destroyed.

As between a Tachihara and a Technika I'll take a Tachihara every time for durability. Technikas are great cameras and fortunately only one of the above five repairs was to the Master Technika but they're finely tuned, precision instruments with a lot of German over-engineering built in IMHO.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I found a Toyo 45 AX with three lens boards, changing bag, 10 film holders, two Calumet film holder bags, photo vest, cable release, Zone viewer all for $780 on Ebay. Sent my Toyo CF back (didn't really have a complaint, but the AX put it to shame). Patience might net you something there. Also have a Speed and two Crowns. If the Speed's shutter is in good shape, you can't find a better economical solution. I have been buying Wollensak barrel lenses and really have a nice, inexpensive and really durable setup. Finally, there's not much difference between the AX and A Toyo 45s. Both very solid.

Stew

Technika. It's what your are looking for. Clamshell design. Hands down the finest.
    A word of caution though, don' t drop it, then again don't drop your Rollex, and don't drive your BMW into curbs.