Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phases of an LF photographer??

Smile Re: Phases of an LF photographer??

Great laugh...and so many phases (well somebody either has to much time or a very vivid imagination - Thanks Ed K!)

Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    ...Now I'm in a stage of virtual paralysis, not wanting to go through the effort of taking pictures unless I'm completely inspired. It's making me very indecisive.
    Yes, this is a very dangerous phase. I've been there too, but forced myself out of it before it killed me. Try some still life at home if you can, it will get you back into motion again.

Some other phases I think I have gone through already

- Only beautiful clouds will make a good photograph
    - Oh, panorama's ...must shoot RF 6x12 or even 6x17
    - Only fiber based paper will do
    - The heavier tripod the better...
    - If I leave something at home when going on a fieldtrip I will miss that amazingly nice scenery, and there should be a backup for everything...only to find out that most of the gear was never used...and I never before experienced such pain in my knees.

- I need more lenses (well this one seems to be coming back a little bit too often)

I'm only shooting 4x5" and have told myself not to go any larger.
    Strangely enough I now have a box of Velvia 50, 8x10" in my refrigerator...

Thanks!

Re: Phases of an LF photographer??

The last stage is this. Set up a still life with little toy cars, buildings and people. Photograph it with a lot of tilt and swing so about 1/2 sq. inch of subject matter is in focus. Spray the set with Zippo lighter fluid, torch it and make your photo. Beat up negative then cross process it with out reguard to time and temp. Make crappy prints about 30x40 inches to sell as art for money and submit some 8x10's to Aperture to become famous.

Oh yeah, this will also earn you a MFA.

Talking Re: Phases of an LF photographer??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rhoades View Post
    The last stage is this. Set up a still life with little toy cars, buildings and people. Photograph it with a lot of tilt and swing so about 1/2 sq. inch of subject matter is in focus. Spray the set with Zippo lighter fluid, torch it and make your photo. Beat up negative then cross process it with out reguard to time and temp. Make crappy prints about 30x40 inches to sell as art for money and submit some 8x10's to Aperture to become famous.

Oh yeah, this will also earn you a MFA.
    Jim, you should not have told me this. I guess this will haunt me for the rest of my LF-journey. As you have probably understood, I'm easy to inspire... I might try this already tomorrow ;-)

All of the above applies. Just remember that the image is its own justification. The image either works, then whatever you did id OK; or it doesn't, in which case whatever you did was not sufficient.
    Michael

I launched into LF after barely dabling in MF. So my first phase was acquiring equipment. Since I was moving out of one hobby (astronomy) and into another (MF/LF), I was selling off one set of hardware (telescopes and mounts) while aquiring another. I don't have anything left to acquire from equipment standpoint (got my last Gnass lens case and film holder bag today), nor do I need any film (freezer full of 120, 4x5, 8x10). Have scanner for negatives and 13" wide printer. I am just happy to take pictures of anything that looks right and loving every minute! I only need time at this point and appropriate lighting.

Stew

Just gotten over my Platon (http://www.platonphoto.com) phase. Now I'm at the throw-away-all-my-lights-and-shoot-with-available-light phase inspired by Eugene H. Johnson (http://www.ehjohnson.com). His website does not do his images justice. Take a look at the latest Lenswork Magazine (http://www.lenswork.com) and you'll see the true beauty of his portraits. I love phases. With every phase I go through it helps me realize a little bit more of who I am as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Liao View Post
    Just gotten over my Platon (http://www.platonphoto.com) phase. Now I'm at the throw-away-all-my-lights-and-shoot-with-available-light phase inspired by Eugene H. Johnson (http://www.ehjohnson.com). His website does not do his images justice. Take a look at the latest Lenswork Magazine (http://www.lenswork.com) and you'll see the true beauty of his portraits. I love phases. With every phase I go through it helps me realize a little bit more of who I am as a photographer.
    Danny, thanks for bringing this thread back to the original subject actually. I like the part where you say that the phases help you realize who I am as a photographer.

It would be interesting to know if there are any commonalities in these phases, like this phase is usually followed by that phase and so on. But then again it's probably very subjective and no LF-photographer is exactly like someone else.

Is the 'available light phase' an effect of admiring the work of others or is it a strive for simplicity?
    Is that where we eventually all end up...keeping the workflow as simple as possible, after first learning to master all the bits and pieces of lenses, papers, flashes, bouncers, filters, films etc?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

my phases were:

1. the forgetting to close the shutter, forgetting to set the aperture, scraping the emulsion off the film in the trays phase

2. the taking close ups of old barnwood, rusty metal, salad vegetables, and rocks phase

3. the exploring something that i actually care about phase

4. the losing the attachment to being a "large format photgrapher," and just using whatever tools seem to best serve my vision phase

5. TBA, pending my next midlife crisis / artistic crisis / crisis of faith / crisis of doubt
    Last edited by paulr; 9-Nov-2006 at 08:51.

Me? I am in a dormant phase.

After living in big cities all my life, I recently moved to a dead-quiet lake-side coutry property. My system is still in shock (in a good way). Thing is, I have not shot a single sheet of film since June. What's up with that? Please tell me I'll awaken soon!

Quote Originally Posted by william linne View Post
    I'm at the phase where I have about 300 old lenses staring at me,daring me to use them, every time I walk into my back room.

W.
    If you would like I can gladly supply you with my address and you can rid yourself of any neglected lenses in your collection. My lens could use company