Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special TMY Order

Special TMY Order

A few months ago there was a special offering of TMY in odd/large sizes. I am curious how this went and has all of the film been delivered. I would like to hear from people who made, and possibly paid for orders. You can e-mil me privately at

largformat@aol.com

steve simmons
    Last edited by steve simmons; 6-Nov-2006 at 10:21.

Re: Special TMY Order

Steve,

It is well documented on apug that there has been a problem with the 4x10 size. I personally ordered, paid for and have received my 7x17 film....all in a very timely manner. If you check the jandcphoto.com website you will see that they have 5x7, 7x17, 8x20 and 12x20 in stock and at great "moving sale" prices. I just received some additional 7x17 via ups today.

I think that having this special order put together by John and Michael was a great service to the large format community.

John
    Last edited by John Bowen; 6-Nov-2006 at 14:19. Reason: didn't want to start another war

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    A few months ago there was a special offering of TMY in odd/large sizes. I am curious how this went and has all of the film been delivered. I would like to hear from people who made, and possibly paid for orders. You can e-mil me privately at

largformat@aol.com

steve simmons
    I hope you're equally interested in hearing from whoever made the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Steve,

It is well documented on apug that there has been a problem with the 4x10 size. I personally ordered, paid for and have received my 7x17 film....all in a very timely manner. If you check the jandcphoto.com website you will see that they have 5x7, 7x17, 8x20 and 12x20 in stock and at great "moving sale" prices. I just received some additional 7x17 via ups today.

I think that having this special order put together by John and Michael was a great service to the large format community.

John
    Yes, this has been well-documented on APUG. See the following site, to the end.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24167

Personally, I ordered quite a bit of TMY in 5X7, 7X17 and 12X20 size. Got it all in July.

I agree with John. Putting this order together was great service to the LF and ULF communities. Unfortunatley, and this is just my opinion, Kodak did not step up to the plate on this as we would have liked. For example, 7X17 and 12X20 film was delivered by Kodak to JandC in 16X20" boxes, which to me shows total disprespsect for the customers. And, they have failed to this point to deliver to JandC a number of the sizes promised. I see this as a lack of committment by Kodak to the LF and ULF community and would suggest that in the future JandC look more to Ilford, or to their own ASA 400 film, since Kodak failed to deliver fully, and in a timely manner, on this deal.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 6-Nov-2006 at 21:15.

Sandy,
    I don't shoot exotic formats and for me Kodak does not exist anymore as a photo company. They lost my business a year or two ago. I have moved most of my film biz to Ilford and I am using Pyrocat and I am using Ilford papers.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee\c; 6-Nov-2006 at 21:36. Reason: correct spelling and add info

Quote Originally Posted by lee\c View Post
    Sandy,
    I don't shoot exotic formats and for me Kodak does not exist anymore as a photo company. They lost my business a year or two ago. I have moved most of my film biz to Ilford and I am using Pyrocat and I am using Ilford papers.

lee\c
    Hi Lee,

I too have more long-term confidence in Ilford at this point. But for LF and ULF, TMY is a super film, and thanks to the special order put together by Mike and JancD I am very happy to have a good supply of it for the next two or three years.

But Ilford FP4+ is definitely a great film, and I have made a few super nice negatives this week with FP4+ on 20X24" format. Definitely one of the less exotic formats, right?

Sandy

Looking back at the whole arrangement, I can honestly say that I wish that Kodak would have chosen to complete a few things cognizant of the folks on the receiving end. As hard as John and I worked to bring this together (almost two years from start to completion) there is only so much you can do to control the outcome. Fact is that film is in transition from the old economic forecasts to the new reality of competition and lower margins and consequently the road has been bumpy to say the least. Considering how dismal the outlook for sheet film was predicted to be for a number of years, we are far better than we thought we would be at this point.

I am interested in a vibrant selection of as many sheet films as we can possibly obtain simply because it allows the photographer to find a product that they find appealing to their tasts and personal vision. John will be producing his own sheet film in the not to distant future and that is a marvelous scenario to contemplate. Can't wait to give his emulsion a go as I know many others are similarly anxious.

At the end of the day we all make decisions based upon our criteria of price, performance, speed and previous experience and or needs.

Time to go make some photographs!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by lee\c View Post
    Sandy,
    I don't shoot exotic formats and for me Kodak does not exist anymore as a photo company. They lost my business a year or two ago. I have moved most of my film biz to Ilford... lee\c

Lee, I'm in the same camp as you are. I have a few 50-sheet boxes of 5x7 and 8x10 TMax left in my freezer. Once this stock is gone...

But, I've already been building up a supply of Ilford FP4+... slowly but surely! More and more of these two films have been finding their way into my freezer over the past year or so!

The realities of the marketplace!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

sandy King said, "FP4+ on 20X24" format. Definitely one of the less exotic formats, right?"

LOL not exotic at all. And I thought 5x7 was big.

lee\c

I received my first order of 8x20 film in sometime in either June or July. I don't remember. Early enough to have never caused any concern. I have since ordered more from J&C taking advantage of their moving sale.

I don't think we can give a big enough thank you to Michael and J&C for putting this together and sharing it with the ULF community.