Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenswork

Doug Dolde

Lenswork

Anyone notice the Holiday subscription special....6 issues for $22.50 ?

Weird thing is if you are renewing you don't qualify for the special and have to pay $39.00.

Anyone else think this is strange logic? One is being penalized for being a long time subscriber.

Re: Lenswork

Similar to the introductory rates with credit cards, cable tv, other magazines. A loss leader to get you in, and in the case of magazines boost circulation and hence add rates.

You'd think it wouldn't make sense but... it does. They'll gain far more new subscribers than they'll lose existing clients.

It seems to me that, while taking a course in Healthcare Economics this past year, there was an explanation as to why this scenario made sense. There was even a graph of this... but, do you think I can recall what that reasoning was?

Guess I'll have to pull out the old set of notes again!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I don't know if it makes sense but View Camera has never done this because we do not think it is fair to existing subscribers.

JMHO

steve simmons
    Last edited by steve simmons; 29-Oct-2006 at 20:35.

Smile Re: Lenswork in Portland, Oregon

Well, PPF takes advantage of these promotions. Last year, we bought two local high schools subscriptions of Lenswork. The photo classes and the instructors were so very happy to get such a nice magazine on creative photography.
    We'll do this again this year.

That is the beauty of the competitive business world. The owner wants to agressively grow their subscription base and I take my hat off to him.

Sounds like a heck of a great opportunity to give it a read.

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't see it - it looks like $34 to me.

you have to go to Lenswork in Print on the left hand column, then hit "subscribe or renew now"

for some reason it isn't in the Holiday Specials section...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Ron - The only adverts in LensWork are for LensWork products. No outside advertisers are accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Anyone notice the Holiday subscription special....6 issues for $22.50 ? Weird thing is if you are renewing you don't qualify for the special and have to pay $39.00. Anyone else think this is strange logic? One is being penalized for being a long time subscriber.
    I've seen this routinely in magazine subscriptions. As suggested, they're gambling they'll gain more subscribers than lose old ones because few subscriptions expire during this special offer period and most current subscribers renew for several years. How many people won't renew their subscription if it ends during this period?

It's common in other areas such as tv cable, cellphones, Internet companies, credit cards, etc. It pisses me off to be a longtime customer and not get a discount, but they know the loss of existing customers is small. And just think, next year they'll be paying the full rate as everyone else if they want to renew.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean