Thread: Moving a De vere 504 Floor Enlarger

Moving a De vere 504 Floor Enlarger

Hi All,

Well, I found a local college geting rid of their darkroom, and they have a free standing De Vere 4x5 enlarger. I may not get a chance to see it before I pick it up, and was hoping someone here can tell me what its dimensions are (to see how big a car I need) and how to best take it apart. Thanks a lot,

GB

Re: Moving a De vere 504 Floor Enlarger

Try www.odyssey-sales.com (who bought out De Vere) and contact them. Unfortunately the site doesn't list dimensions, and my own De Vere is a "bench model" so I can't help with your free-standing version. But the site does have a "contact us" provision, and they list a free-standing 504 in their refurbished list, so may be able to give you the info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hi All,

Well, I found a local college geting rid of their darkroom, and they have a free standing De Vere 4x5 enlarger. I may not get a chance to see it before I pick it up, and was hoping someone here can tell me what its dimensions are (to see how big a car I need) and how to best take it apart. Thanks a lot,

GB
    I'd just spend twenty bucks for a small u-haul for the day. You won't have to take it apart, or do any awkward lifts into a car or truck. Just have to wheel it in and tie it to the wall.

I went through this just last year. If it is the same floor model as mine, it is NOT going to fit in any car, with the possible exception of 1930 Hispano-Suiza Touring Car. You will need a van. Unless absolutely necessary, do not take it apart, other than to remove the head for transport. Of course, this also depends on the doorways/windows through which it must go. I can get you the dimensions tonight, if you need them. There is a way to take it apart without disrupting all of the chains for raising and lowering the head, but, if you can, leave it alone.

You can take them apart - separate the base unit from the column so to speak. However, you have to get involved in the mechanics when you do as you have to separate the chain drives for the standards. I'd second the advice of just renting a U-Haul for the day. If you rent an appliance dolly at the same time, you'll be able to wheel it up or down stairs and put it exactly where you want it with minimal hassle.