Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a low production and high quality printing service to publish a book....

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Looking for a low production and high quality printing service to publish a book....

I am looking for a service you can print your book. Very limited production, even printing by the order. It would require to print high quality B&W pictures. Actually, whole book will be B&W.

The service needs to be consistent and reliable, average price is Ok. I looked in some previous threads and all I found was not satisfactory to me. The biggest issue was a consistency to get it printed in the same quality over a time.

Any new companies on the market?
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Good Luck

Good luck on the quest...

Looking for a low production and high quality printing service to publish a book....

want to volunteer as a guinea pig? Then try Photobox and let us know how good it is...

My guess is that it will be pretty good based on the trial I did for black and white prints to fuji crystal archive. The only thing I found was that my slight warm tone came out too warm in the print but that is easy to fix for next time.

Re: Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Good luck on the quest...
    I know, but maybe someone came accross some website already.
    Last edited by SAShruby; 2-Nov-2006 at 14:03.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Re: Looking for a low production and high quality printing service to publish a book

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    I am looking for a service you can print your book. Very limited production, even printing by the order. It would require to print high quality B&W pictures. Actually, whole book will be B&W.

The service needs to be consistent and reliable, average price is Ok. I looked in some previous threads and all I found was not satisfactory to me. The biggest issue was a consistency to get it printed in the same quality over a time.

Any new companies on the market?
    I received this e-mail a few days ago, I have absolutely zero idea if it is legitimate or not.

Have you ever thought about publishing a book of your art works?
    Order to be published and win the $2000 World of Art Publishing Award 2006

Receive your Individual Art Book within 8 weeks

There are millions of artists but the privilege of being published falls to so few.
    The book is not only about art but about the development in art to create art history

Individual art books
    for contemporary artists
    in MASTERS Of TODAY series

Number of pages: 66 - 200
    Hardcover, offset print
    Size 10"x10" / 24x24 cm.
    Size 9½"x12"/ 24,5x31,5 cm.
    WoA /MOT Publising London /Stockholm
    Language: English
    Print run 1000
    made in Europe

Professional Layout / 66 pages / Hardcover / 1000 Copies / Quality Print in Europe / Statement / CV / Critic Essays / Up to 150 Works on Exceptional Reproduction / Bookstore and eCommerce Distribution: Amazon, Borders, Barnes & Noble etc / Cost €11, 49 - US$ 13.99 per copy

Many Artists have dreamed of this, but then they discovered that the cost is prohibitive. But still the dream of seeing ones work in a uniquely created professional hardcover art book, with super high quality reproduction, is one that lives on. Then how can you accomplish this at a cost that doesn't break the bank? Send to our editorial office in Stockholm 60-150 quality photos, the works detail information (title, year, media, size, and collection), critic essays / statement / CV and several photos of yourself. All publishing materials may be provided by mail by the artist in electronic format (on CD or DVD) or by e-mail as zipped image files (300dpi JPG /TIFF image files)

If you’re interested in undertaking your own art book project, you wish to contact Masters of Today /World of Art Publishing or complete and return by e-mail or mail the attached PDF Agreement to Publisher and provide the publishing materials by mail or e-mail our editorial office in Sweden.

Publisher
    World of Art
    Mörbylund 19, 9tr
    SE-182 30 Danderyd
    Stockholm (Sweden)
    www.worldofartmagazine.com
    Masters of Today
    15 Manchester Court
    London E16 3GZ (UK)
    www.mastersoftoday.com

Publishing Package and Cost
    ► Full editing: creative layout, unique design, text review & editing ($2,690 / 2,149 euro)
    ► Plates, Offset Printing and by Hand Binding : ($9,690 / 7,729 euro)
    ► Packing, shipping, distribution of the first 200 copies of the print run. : ($1,590 / 1,269 euro )
    TOTAL: US$ 13,999 / 11,490 euro / GBP £ 6,149)
    * The publishing package assumes a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in all stages of production, a comprehensive, professional designed hardcover art book published for collectors and art lovers, also, marketing and distribution.

The cost of the first printing is paid 100% by Artist and is not shared with Publisher.

Book Specs
    Individual art Book in the series of ‘Masters of Today’ (with a Business Reply Card)*
    66 pages offset
    170 grams quality art paper
    Hardcover
    Size 9¾ x 12¼ inches / 245 x 315 mm.
    * The Business Reply Card includes the work inventory in the book and is the way in which art lovers and book buyers can express their commitment in acquiring original works included in the book or find direct contact to the author and comment the works, a unique marketing and business tool specific to publishing.

Print Run
    1,000 copies
    200 copies will be sent in distribution
    800 copies will be shipped to the Artist’s address
    As the books sell, Artist will send additional copies directly to the distributor upon request.

Distributor
    Ingram Books. Ingram has a huge databases of millions of book titles and the widest audience possible marketing and distribution through more than 5,500 large US bookstores and eCommerce channels including Barnes and Noble, Borders, Amazon, Powell’s, Alibis, Books-A-Million, Buy.com, Wal-Mart, Blackwell and many others worthwhile.

Author Royalty
    If a 66 page book sells for $49.95 and the wholesale traditional takes 55% off the retail price, the price is $22.47; the distributor traditional takes 40% of $22.47, that would be $9 and the author earning of 60 points gets 60% of $22.47 for each book sold. That would be roughly $13.47 for each book sold paid to the artist.

Payment Schedule
    100% funds must be wired upon signing the contract

Materials
    Artist will submit the following:
    ►60-100 quality works
    ►Detailed artwork information (title, year, media, size, collection)
    ►Essays (if available)
    ►Artist statement
    ►CV / resume
    ►Several photos of Artist

Format
    The publishing material may be provided in electronic format on
    CD or DVD by air mail to MOT editorial office in Sweden
    or by e-mail attachment (mail to: artist@mastersoftoday.com )
    300 dpi JPG /TIFF (zipped image files) /CMYK

Schedule
    After receiving the materials the editorial office will send the Artist two or more, but at least two, alternative layout page samples (as PDF and JPG file). The Book will be published three to six calendar months from the complete editorial submission.

Copyrights
    Image copyright is held by Artist
    Layout copyright is held by Publisher

Payment
    Bank: Barclays Bank, London, UK
    Branch Address: Barclays Bank, 128 Moorgate, London EC2M 6SX.
    Account name: World of Art
    Sorting Code: 203200
    Account Number: 70277908
    IBAN: GB22 BARC 2032 0070 2779 08
    BICSWIFT code: BARCGB22

Individual art books
    Look inside: Paul Ygartua /Living Pasion
    Look inside: Leon Oks /Dreamscape
    Look inside: Henryk Szydlowski /Door to the Dream
    Look inside: MARLIE BURTON ROCHE /LANDSCAPE & BREAD
    Look inside: ANDREA ZANATTA /VENEZIA
    Look inside: JOSE SACAL /A PIECE OF WORK
    Look inside: mary anne wardach /emotional swirl
    Look inside: Darla Farner / Vibrant Abstract
    Look inside: Ligia PODOREANU EKSTROM /watercolor
    Look inside: art in israel /contemporary artists
    Look inside: TRANSYLVANIA /THE WOODEN CHURCH reghin 1725 a.d

E-mail to : info@worldofartmagazine.com
    Website ( : www.worldofartmagazine.com

Once you have trust, you have access, and that is the power of World of Art
    World of Art is a contemporary global art publisher for artists, galleries, museums, dealers, art collectors, who seek the latest news and trends in the art world. Each World of Art publication is a graphic creation itself and source of information including profiles of artists and galleries, updates on museums exhibitions, show reviews, gallery news and events, reporting on the art, personalities and trends that shape the art world. Marketing and distribution provided by Ingram Periodicals through newsstands and large bookstores available in US and Internationally including Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon, Powell’s, Alibis, Book-A-Million, Buy.com, Wal-Mart, Textbook, Blackwell in USA, also in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Australia, Japan and many others.

World of Art is a marketing tool.
    It develops a story around the global art books and the artist included thereby fostering interest among art collectors, galleries, museums and enticing them to make a work of art purchase or exhibition. The concept is simple and the result of the development process is often an extended request. More often than not, World of Art publishing is synonymous with an advertorial and consists of Artist Portfolio in World of Art contemporary global art magazine and art books.

World of Art evolves this concept to reflect the needs of modern art marketers.
    The focus of every published World of Art book and magazine is the target collector, gallery and museum not the publishing vanity. World of Art develops art publishing with a focus on the art market – collector, gallery and museum: who they are and where their interests lie. Based on this understanding, World of Art develops an original art magazine and unique art books, targeted content which promises to better attract and hold target art' attention.
    Petru Russu is the editor and publisher (MFA)
    Publisher : World of Art Publishing of P. Russu registered by the Swedish and Patent and Registration.
    Last edited by David Spivak-Focus Magazine; 2-Nov-2006 at 16:00.

In short, VANITY PRESS.

Thumbs down Re: Looking for a low production and high quality printing service to publish a book

I don't know. If I understand correctly, for 66 pages at 50 USD (quite expensive) you will earn 13.50 from sale. If you sell 1000 copies you will get 13,500 USD. You will pay as author 14,000 USD to run your 1000 copies. Distributor gets 9,000 USD, printer gets 22,500 USD and you would get -500 USD.

Hmm, quite an offer and awesome deal.
    Last edited by SAShruby; 3-Nov-2006 at 08:59. Reason: Added more comments...
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Re: Looking for a low production and high quality printing service to publish a

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Eks View Post
    In short, VANITY PRESS.
    yeah I know - Lee Friedlander's a real expert at that self-published vanity press stuff... tacky tacky tacky
    Last edited by tim atherton; 3-Nov-2006 at 09:47.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Re: Looking for a low production and high quality printing service to publish a book

Here is website it talks about vanity pres and other useful terms with respect to publishing.

Terms and vanity press
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Here is a link. Quality is very good.

http://www.sharedink.com/