Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calumet Camera

Re: Calumet Camera

Nobody told you yet about other things - a possibility of a sticking or just a slow shutter, the need to look at the quality of the lens rear element etc. If you want to be an honest seller show the camera to a photographer in your town and he will give you all the necessary notes you need. Otherwise you play with your reputation on Ebay and others trust.

The camera pictured in your post is a Cambo imported and sold by Calumet; Calumet also made and marketed another style of monorail view camera under their name which looks similar but is actually quite different. If you were able to post a pic of your particular camera it would be easy for folks here to tell which it is...but, if it has a square rail, it is the Cambo, which is a slightly higher priced, though still not an expensive, camera. I shoot a Cambo and have been well pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Nobody told you yet about other things - a possibility of a sticking or just a slow shutter, the need to look at the quality of the lens rear element etc. If you want to be an honest seller show the camera to a photographer in your town and he will give you all the necessary notes you need. Otherwise you play with your reputation on Ebay and others trust.
    That's certainly good advice but I think those of us who have tried to help him have assumed that if he knew someone who used a large format camera he wouldn't have posted his question here in the first place. And he can hardly look in the phone book and start calling professionals out of the blue to ask them if they use a large format camera, then if he's lucky enough to find one ask that they take time out of their schedule to examine his camera so he can sell it on ebay. He maintains his reputation on ebay by simply explaining the situation (i.e. camera found in attic, he hasn't used it, he's done the best he could to examine it but can make no guarantees, etc. etc.)
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

What nonsense are you preaching? Whatever photographer from a photo shop knows enough about LF so that he knows if bellows is leaking or shutter is working. And if you need to check a phone book to know where to find a photographer you must be living with closed eyes. Thinking you have good reputation on Ebay by saying - "I don't know anything about cameras but this one as far as I can say is OK.." then you're asking for troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    What nonsense are you preaching? Whatever photographer from a photo shop knows enough about LF so that he knows if bellows is leaking or shutter is working. And if you need to check a phone book to know where to find a photographer you must be living with closed eyes. Thinking you have good reputation on Ebay by saying - "I don't know anything about cameras but this one as far as I can say is OK.." then you're asking for troubles.
    Try reading my message. I didn't suggest he take the camera to a photo shop. In fact I didn't suggest he take the camera anywhere. That was your suggestion, remember?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Try reading my message. I didn't suggest you suggested he take the camera to a photo shop. In fact I didn't suggest you suggested he take the camera anywhere. That wasn't my suggestion, remember?