Thread: Tipping-in

Tipping-in

Not sure which area to post this in...

If you wanted to make a small album type book where individual prints were tipped-in, how would you go about it? (how were they traditionally done?)

Mainly in terms of glue - type, how much etc.

I used to have a couple of old photo books with tipped-in prints, but they aren't here and I never really looked at how they were made

too much glue and everything all wrinkles up - too little and the photos fall out...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Re: Tipping-in

My understanding is (and I am no expert) that you can use wheat starch, which can cause wrinkling in lighter weight papers, or a dry ahesive like Letraset. I have not done this so I am only repeating things that I have researched (albeit somewhat lightly). There is also some form of roll adhesive (roll-a-tac??) that can be used to coat the back of the print, but I have little info on that so you would have to do some more research to get the details.

With the wheat starch, you can mix it yourself, it is cheap, and you have resonable control over the application of adhesive. It is wet though, and could concievably cause wrinkling. With the dry sheets (Letraset Studio-Tac) you have a dry sheet onto which you press your print. This is then lifted off the adhesive sheet and pressed onto the recipient paper. I've use the Studi-Tac with stereographs and like the results.

The only thing to keep in mind that I have personal experience with is that with any ahdesive, the corners are the weak points. You need to be sure that they get stuck down well becuase they are the most likely to get snagged when turning pages, or in my case with the stereographs, with handling.

- Randy

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i've gotten some good advice here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bookbi...yguid=90909713

How small are your prints?
    Try dry mounting materials.