Thread: Linhof shooters, do you use the plastic shade?

Linhof shooters, do you use the plastic shade?

Linhof shooters, do you use the plastic rectangular Linhof lens shades?

I got one as part of a kit. It looks nice, nice sturdy looking plastic, rectangular shape and all. But the mount looks like it would scratch the daylights out of any lens barrel.

Are these more for collectors?

regards
    Vick

Re: Linhof shooters, do you use the plastic shade?

I've never used them, mostly because they seem designed to fit particular lenses and I've never been sure whether they would fit mine. I used a Linhof compendium shade for a while but frankly found it kind of a pain so now I use my hand or a dark slide, which I know is probably not as good as good shade but seems to work o.k.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use the plastic shade system, the compendium shade, and sometimes just a folding rubber shade.

The compendium shade is the best as a shade, but it can be a bit cumbersome, particularly if you're shooting outdoors in the wind. On the other hand, it breaks down compactly, and with a set of gels probably weighs less than the plastic shade with a set of glass filters. If you have glass filters, though, you can still use them on the lens with the compendium shade.

The clamp-on shade is very convenient and quick to use, and is what I use most often in the field. I have all the adapters which fit most modern (post 1970) lenses (70mm, 60mm, 51mm, and 42mm outside diameter, corresponding to 67mm, 58mm, 49mm and 40.5mm filter thread), and a good set of 70mm drop-in filters, but you could also use it with screw in filters on the lens, if that is what you have. The hood works with lenses as wide as 150mm. They used to make a wideangle version, but I've never seen one, so I got a second hood and cut it down for lenses around 135mm, and I just use the filter holder without the hood for wider lenses.

If I'm just walking around with the Technika and one lens, I'll often use a rubber shade. A 150/4.5 Xenar or similarly small lens and a 40.5mm rubber shade will close with the camera.

Thanks all

I'm wondering whether to keep the shades, or to sell them.

According to the 'bay, I could get $40 to $60 for them.

Vick

Why don't you rather find a way to fasten the shade on the lens without scratching it?

They make nice jello molds...

There were two types of filter holders for these shades--an older style with a metal collar with two buttons that you squeeze together to attach it to the lens and usually metal shades, and a later style with a plastic shade and a cam lever for attaching it to the lens.

I can't see how the later style would scratch the lens barrel, as long as you move the lever to the "off" position when attaching or removing the shade.

I have a 42mm shade in the older style (you can find these sometimes in kits with 4 or 6 drop-in filters and usually a nice fitted leather case--I usually take this one when I'm traveling light), and I haven't had a problem with it, but you do need to be sure you squeeze the buttons together before attaching it to the lens.