Thread: A nice thread about a trip in Tibet...

A nice thread about a trip in Tibet...

With some wonderful pictures. 12 days trip covered some 3,000 miles. Car rent with a local Tibetan driver for the whole trip cost some $2,500. Click all three pages.

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.ph...0&pagenumber=3

Another one...

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.ph...7&pagenumber=1

Disclaimer: Those images are not mine. I am planning to make a trip to Tibet with my LF/ULF gears in a few years.
    Last edited by Hugo Zhang; 30-Oct-2006 at 12:30.

Re: A nice thread about a trip in Tibet...

you and me both... I need a 'fixer' though..

I spent two weeks in Tibet about twelve years ago, it was an unforgettable experience. In fact it was that trip that got me back into serious photography after a long absence. If you go try to trek at least part of the time, I didn't and instead had a guide/driver which was certainly convenient but I think trekking would really immerse you into the country. It also might free you up from the guy who accompanied us and our guide/driver the entire trip and who never said a word for two weeks. I thought he was probably there only to monitor what the guide/driver was saying to us (the Chinese take no chances).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3000 miles in 12 days? That makes ca 300 miles a day (if you don't count the first and the last day) on roads in Tibet... Is that the Chinese idea of traveling in Tibet? Well, some of those pictures shows clearly how far from the car they were taken... Not my cup of coffee.

Uh, did that photographer take along a 617, 6x9 LF, Mamiya 7, and a Nikon kit that includes a 300 F2.8??

If that guy drove 300 miles a day in Tibet, other than by going up and down the same street 8 hours a day, I'd hate to see what his vehicle looked like or how it ran at the end of the trip. Outside of the three major cities the roads in Tibet were often pretty bad, virtually undrivable in some areas. I don't know how many times our driver had to get out of the car and look at what was in front to make sure we weren't going to fall into a crevasse or drop off the side of a cliff because the road was crumbling. We all got out and pushed more than once in order to get the car around some obsruction in the road. And that was with good weather.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Tibet-a country or a province?

Tibet is an autonomous region of China.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
    Tibet is an autonomous region of China.
    Jason- depends on who you listen to. If it's China, then Tibet is another province who is granted limited autonomy to soothe tensions. If it's Tibetans, they're an independent nation wrongfully occupied by the Chinese.