Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much total solution for five sheets of 8x10?

Re: How much total solution for five sheets of 8x10?

OK, Ben...

Here's your answer and I'll break it down for you:

You want to end up with 32 oz of total fluid for your tray, made up of 2 oz stock solution and 30 oz water. You mentioned that you would like to use your favorite dilution of 1 (stock solution) : 15 (water).

Since HC110 stock is made of 1 part concentrate and 3 parts water (1:3 ratio), let's use this to come up with our 2 oz of stock, which will make it very easy.

1/2 oz concentrate PLUS 1 1/2 oz water EQUALS 2 total oz of stock solution.

Adding 30 oz of water to the 2 oz stock solution EQUALS 32 oz working solution to use in your tray.

1/2 oz EQUALS 14.78 ml. This is how much raw concentrate is in your dilution.

It takes 3ml of HC110 (in any dilution) to process 80 sq inches of film.

So, your dilution will be able to process just under 5 sheets of 8x10.

To tell the truth I'd probably add a hair more stock solution to my final working solution and call it a day...close enough.

-----------------------------------------

You are essentially using Dilution H, an unofficial dilution, which is 1:63 from concentrate. I always use this dilution with roll film and sheet film, mainly with TXP 320.

Eddie...

Dilution E (1:47 from concentrate) will not yield Ben's requirement for an equivalent to his 1:15 from stock.

It gets tricky because you have to read Kodak's tech sheet correctly and understand that there are many different ratios being discussed and whether they are mixed from concentrate or working solution makes all the difference.

See my post above...

I don't see why this is so complicated.
    Your working strength dilution is between Dilution E and Dilution F according to the kodak hc110 chart:
    Attachment 941
    so erring on the side of caution you would assume dilution F but using E will likely not cause a problem because manufacturers are conservative with these figures.

The capacity chart then says that for Dilution E you need 1 litre of working strength developer for 1.5 sheets of 8x10. For 5 sheets you will need 3 and a third litres of working strength solution. Again because of the conservative figures given by Kodak I think 3 litres will do it for 1+15 from stock (stock being 1+3 from concentrate).
    Attachment 942

Or putting it really simply using the chart, you need a gallon of working strength solution E for 5 sheets of 8x10 and I think a gallon will also be enough for your dilution of 1+15 from stock.

this is 128oz of working strength solution. So:

128/16 = 8 therefore you need 8 oz of stock and 120 oz of water for 1+15.

If you want to err on the side of caution then use the working dilution F figures which means 5 litres of working strength which is 170 oz which we round up to 176 for simplicity.

176/16 = 11 therefore you would need 11oz of stock and 165oz of water for 1+15.
    Last edited by robc; 24-Oct-2006 at 00:03.

Robc...

Now that I look at the capacity charts you posted, I question my statement of 3ml concentrate per 80 sq inches of film. I believe I got that info from the HC110/Covington site, but that doesn't necessarily jibe with the data sheet, does it?

I use Dilution H for 4x5 development using 12ml concentrate to 738ml water for a total of 750ml in my 8x10 size tray.

It's so easy to use HC110 straight from concentrate. I can't see why anyone would want to use it any other way...

Ben...maybe you should read this thread and look at the last post:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...id=0038BB&tag=

the problems arise because manufacturers are very conservative about the capacity of developers and people then try and squeeze every last bit out of their developer. Result is a huge range of numbers which people think will work.
    My advice is not to try and squeeze too much out the developer capacity because you will hit the limit sometimes and not others. Use Kodaks figures but round down instead of erring on the side of caution and you should be OK. Fact is that HC110 is very cheap so why risk your negatives by trying to squeeze to much use out of the developer.

The Dilution E figures work out to 16ml of concentrate to 80sq in of film. Or 0.5oz (rounded) so that would be 2.5oz for 5 sheets of 8x10 which at 1+63 = 160oz working strength which is between the two figures I gave based on kodaks numbers but is a bit more economical than the figures given in the thread link you gave. So I think your 3ml is somewhat optimistic.

OK...one more shot at this:

I worked out the Kodak capacity data and came up with 15.4 ml (rounded) of concentrate for each sheet (Dilution E)

And...12 ml for each sheet (Dilution A)

Where in the world did Covington get 3 ml per 80 sq inches from?

Robc...

I posted my last comment before reading yours!

That's interesting, because I normally use Dilution H in a stainless tank to process 120 format, 7ml concentrate in 450ml total liquid and it works just fine.

Like I said, the manufacturers are very conservative about capacity and given the maths involved and people experimenting it is probably a good job that they are or there would be a lot of ruined negatives.

And your 120 film is only approx 75% the area of an 8x10
    Last edited by robc; 24-Oct-2006 at 01:03.

I really appreciate everyone's time and help on this. Eddie, if my math is correct, I would have a 1:15 ratio with 75 ounces of water and 5 ounces of HC 110 from stock.
    Think of it this way: there are five, 15-ounce units of water in 75 total ounces of water. Adding one ounce of HC 110 for each one of those five units of 15 ounces works out to a 1:15 ratio.

One more question, and I swear I'll shut up about this.
    It makes sense to start mixing from concentrate, and dilution B looks easiest to figure, for me.
    As I understand it, I will mix one ounce of concentrate into 32 ounces of water. So, carrying that further, if I, say, pour 64 ounces of water into an 11x14 tray, I would add two ounces of the concentrate to make diution B.
    If I pour 96 ounces in, I would add three ounces of concentrate to make dilution B.
    Ninety-six ounces would surely provide enough depth to submerge five sheets of 8x10, but would that provide the needed developer energy?