Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Head Question

Grego

Tripod Head Question

Hello,
    Very much enjoying this site. I'm new to LF photography, and I'm trying to get quality equipment without becoming a member of the "Bankruptcy" forum, but I'm very particular about my gear, so here goes.
    I'm considering the Linhof Technikardan 44S. Seems many here like the Gitzo tripods. Could you please tell me what head type is preferred, ball, pan, geared. Will the ball type work? I like the look of the Linhof expert tripod (supports 22 lb) with the Linhof Profi II ballhead (supports 17.6 lbs).
    Thankee

Re: Tripod Head Question

Hello Greg,
    I initially used an Arca Swiss ball head but quickly switched to a geared head from Manfrotto/Bogen as I was constantly frustrated trying to level the camera. The 410/405 bogen heads are very good.
    best,
    chris

Greg,

I can't remember the weight of your camera but would highly, highly recommend either a Manfrotto 405 or 410 geared head for your camera. The Gitzo 1325 would also be the way to go as it's a carbon fiber tripod... keeps the weight manageable.

Price wise... the 410 is going to run you under US$175.00. The 405 is going to run you approximately double that price. But, IMHO, it's still worth the extra dollars.

I wouldn't (personally) recommend a ball head since it can be a pita if you're trying to make changes on one axis or the other. For me, as careful as I was with a B1 head, after loosening up the locks, the camera (partly because of its weight) always moved in more than one axis resulting in having to reposition the camera for the framing of the image I wanted. In other words, there's far more control with a geared head than a free-floating ball head.

But, having said that... there ARE some folks who like using a ball head with their LF cameras. I suppose it's just a matter of getting use to one system over the other. I have the 405 and absolutely love it!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I like the low profile of a ballhead but hate the all-axis flopping around when it is loose. The answer for me was the Arca B2 -- it allows you to adjust each axis independently and is strong enough to support a small car. The major downside however is that it can break the bank because it's really expensive new -- but they do show up with regularity on eBay.

My 2nd choice would be the Bogen 405 geared head (the beefier one), but it's kind of pricey too. Lastly, there is the Majestic, readily available used for around $100 and are incredibly strong, but they do weigh a bunch.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 22-Oct-2006 at 16:03.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

A agree about the Manfrotto geared heads or even Manfrotto larger pan and tilt heads . I tried a ball head once and I thought I was impossible to use. If you need to make small adjustments, a ball head will drive you crazy. That said, a lot of people seem to love them ball heads but you have to spend a bundle and get a great one if you go in that direction.

After using the Arca and the Bogen 410, along with several less trendy (or good) heads several years ago, I have circled back to good old Gitzo 3-way pan heads, preferably the low-profile ones. I have a 5-series that is rock solid and I'll probably get a smaller one. The Gitzo thumbscrews actually hold very well and the ergonomics of the Gitzos are excellent.

As you may gather from the variety of responses, there is no wrong answer, just a lot of opinions.

If you can afford a Gitzo carbon fiber 1325 or 1349 it will be a good match for a TK. But the metal 3-series are also excellent.

Don't have one of the 410's but have looked one over and it looks good. Have used a Bogen 3047 for a number of years, but it has been replaced this year by the Manfrotto model 808RC4...which I just ordered today. Will post something after it arrives and gets some use. Looks much like a 3047, but uses the QR plates like the 410 and has a 3lb spring assist for the ver/hor movements.

Grego

Wow, very impressive responses. And they said LF Photography was dead.
    Thanks for the good input.

Forgot to mention I also was looking at the Linhof 3-way leveling head. It supports 11 lbs. The Linhof Technikardan lists at 7.7 lbs. Seems that head would work, unless I'm going to be putting over 5 additional lbs of gear on the camera (lens, back, etc). Any input on that?
    Thankee

The Linhof tripods and heads have a top-flight reputation but few Americans have been lucky enough to see them, much less own them. If you can afford one please give us a report!

I'm sure it is very nice...

Greg:
    I second the Gitzo G1325 and Manfrotto 405 recommendation. Together they will chew a pretty good sized hole in a thousand dollar bill but they are works of art. The Manfrotto head has a very nice feature where you can rotate the knobs one way for coarse positioning and the other way for fine adjustments. It is a three axis head and so each axis is independent of the others. These two features let you home in on the perfect positioning very quickly. As said earlier, the head is nominally rated for 16.5 lbs but it feels like it would let you move a lot more while under perfect control.
    The Gitzo carbon fiber tripods are the best. Smooth, stable, the CF dampens vibrations, the legs are independently adjustable and can let the tripod go flat to the ground. They are wonderful. The combination is a perfect setup for LF (I shoot 4x5).

IMHO, ballheads work much better for 35mm photography. I have a Markins that I dearly love for for 35mm but using it for LF is a pain. LF cameras are heavy and tend to be unbalanced making it hard to change only one axis when you want to.
    Good luck,
    Dave B.