Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripod Head Question

Grego

Question Re: Tripod Head Question

As a follow-up, do any of you use a Levelling head instead of a column? I'm not sure if I need the tilt adjustment beyond levelling the camera. The Linhof and Gitzo levelling heads move 15 degrees in any direction.
    Thankee

Re: Tripod Head Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Castles View Post
    Don't have one of the 410's but have looked one over and it looks good. Have used a Bogen 3047 for a number of years, but it has been replaced this year by the Manfrotto model 808RC4...which I just ordered today. Will post something after it arrives and gets some use. Looks much like a 3047, but uses the QR plates like the 410 and has a 3lb spring assist for the ver/hor movements.
    Wanted to post an update after a couple of full days of shooting with the 808RC4. Overall impression is Very Good. This head was a dream to use with the B&J 5x7. Had it mounted on a Berlebach wood tripod, and shooting inside/outside of some churches and adjustments were quite easy. The vertical and horizontal movements have a 3lb spring to help keep movements smoother, and I would say they worked quite well (the tension can be "turned off" if you want). Besides the levels for V&H movements there is a bullseye level for when you filp the camera on it's side (used this shooting with a Mamiya 645). The larger footprint of the quick release plates and the manner it locks in place are much better than the older 3047 QR plates IMO.

When I used a view camera (I'm now all digital) my favorite head was the Linhof 3 way levelling head. Truly excellent. It's a bit heavier than the ballheads I'm using now for my Canon 5D, but I loved it. Very stable, and precise. No need to use a levelling base with it.

I prefer a gitzo 5 series low profile head with my technikardan. I have a gitzo #3 ball head but then you have to mess around with wobbling in 360 degrees to true the head. Also I have a 2 series gitzo head that is under designed for a 4x5 camera - and I have gotten camera movement while using it. I have both #3 and #4 series gitzo legs. I haven't come up with the big money for the carbon fiber legs yet. The base of the technikardan is rather large where it connects to the tripod head and most tripod heads are rather small 2 1/2 inches round etc. and can wobble in the design (it's the weakest point - it's a cantilever). The 5 series gitzo head is bulky but is lower in weight that many other lighter rated heads. I had a bogen head with a quick release I just had to throw away. The quick release didn't seat right and an earlier camera that I had was damaged. I don't want to risk camera movement - you go to all of the effort to get your equipment to a location and you make an exposure and end up with a tinny bit of movement on the negitive. What is the point is shooting large format then?

Carpenter

Wow! This thread has been resurrected from way back, but I'll chime in anyhow
    When I had a TK I originally started with the Bogen 3049 head. Even though it was stout enough and priced pretty low, it has a very tall profile, and the hex plates just don't have the fine industrial design of newer more well thought out quick connect plates. It was kind of funny screwing that clunky hex plate into the bottom of a very well made Linhof product. Like putting stamped steel wheels on a Mercedes!
    I then move onto the 410 geared head after hearing many good things about it. It completely holds up to its reputation. If I would have kept the camera (geez, I wish I still had it!) I would have put the after market Arca Swiss plate on the head, and use a RRS rail for the camera. This would make finding the perfect balance with short or long lenses a frickin' breeze. My 2 cents.