Thread: HELP! Intel Macs + Epson 9800 drivers

HELP! Intel Macs + Epson 9800 drivers

Hi,

We just got an intel imac and upgraded to cd2 in order to run our Epson 9800--our meaning the grad photo dept at MassArt.

I installed the "old" Epson print drivers off of the Epson install disc. But CS2 can't find them and the Epson LFP remote panel also can't find it.

I check out Epson's download page and found intel drivers. I'm still getting the same problem.

Ideas? Suggestions?

----

Also, CS2 likes to quit when you hit print with preview while using an Intel mac. Any suggestions?

----

Thanks for your help.
    T

Re: HELP! Intel Macs + Epson 9800 drivers

As far as the Epson issues go,call them they have great tech support.

As for the CS2 issues, I have had the same or similar issues with 10.4.x on both a G5 and an Intel Powerbook. After hours on the phone with Adobe the onlky solution was to reinstall the system software ... still no answers as to why.

The most probable answer is that CS2 runs under Rosetta on Intel Macs.

The hell of it is that it does it so well that we tend to forget that it is an emulation. But as with any emulation, there are problems, and those are most likely to show up during an interaction with third party software such as printer drivers.

Also, I don't know if Epson has translated their 9600 OSX drivers to run natively on Intel Mac or not. I suggest calling both Adobe and Epson with the question.

All being said, CS3 is now around the corner - it will run natively on Intels, so many of these problems as well as those related to speed should be cleared.

One more point on the Epson drivers .... I have had no trouble running my 4800 using the ColorBurst RIP (full version not the crippled version that comes with the PRO version of Epson's printers) on an Intel machine.

The price of ColorBurst RIP on a 4800 is considerably cheaper than on a 9600.

Walter, no question, I was just spointingout that I have had no problems with the RIP and an Intel machine. OTOH, I also question why someone (especially an academic institution) would make th investment in any of the wide format printers (especially a 7800 or 9800) and not take advantage of its full capabilities, that is limit the users to only the Epson drivers without the option of one of the high end RIP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    I also question why someone (especially an academic institution) would make th investment in any of the wide format printers (especially a 7800 or 9800) and not take advantage of its full capabilities, that is limit the users to only the Epson drivers without the option of one of the high end RIP's.

Oh I can answer this for you easily:

It's kind've easy to justify hardware and CS2--they have their parallels in the analog darkroom. RIPs are just not understood by most people in administration and they're the first thing that gets cut out of our yearly requests for new gear.

Each year we've asked for the money to purchase a RIP. We're denied because "Your prints look fine."

Instead the money goes toward things like guest speakers (Justine Kurland, Joel Sternfeld, Carrie May Weems) and replacing our broke @$$ eMac.

In the end, I think I'm happy having "ok" prints and awesome guest speakers.