Thread: LF Shop in Berkeley-SF-Oakland?

LF Shop in Berkeley-SF-Oakland?

Can anyone recommend shops in the Bay Area where I can take a look at used LF ge ar? I'm particularly interested in field cameras of 8x10 or 11x14 size. I live i n Japan, where there are shops that sell used LF gear, but I've never seen an 11 x14 camera here.

Check with Adolph Gasser and Calumet in S.F. and Seawood Photo in San Anselmo (M arin County). The last frequently has a lot of used large format stuff. But, I'v e never seen a used 11x14 either. You will have better luck looking at the fine print in Shutterbug Magazine. Good Luck, njb

Tom, I also live in Japan, and I saw an 11x14 Deardorff for sale last week in Tokyo (Ginza). Rather expensive, at Yen1.2million, though. I do not know where you would find 11x14 film here, however.

Response to fw: 1.2 million Yen for a Deardorf!?! That's almost $12,000. In other words, a collectors item. I can buy a new Lotus, or Canham, or Wisner, or Gandolfi(?) 11x14 for 30% to 50% of that. But it will be interesting to take a look. Is it at Lemon Camera in Ginza?

As for film. I know Yodobashi only sells film up to 8x10 in size. I go to the US fairly regularly, and am hoping that I can bring film back with me. I'm hoping I can get a flat box through US security without visual or x-ray inspection.

Tom, I saw it at Gin-Ichi, which is near Ginza 1-chome. I would certainly agree that that is one expensive camera! I think that Deardorff's are fairly scarce on the ground in Japan - you just do not come across used 4x5's or 8x10's Deardorffs like you do in USA.

Try Bear Cameras in Berkeley, but Gasser's in SF will be bigger. Also in Califor nia but much further south is The F-Stops Here in Santa Barbara

"Try Bear Cameras in Berkeley,"

Do you mean Bear Images in Palo Alto?

Of the places mentioned above, Seawood in San Anselmo is likely to have by far the greatest selection of used LF gear. (However, I'm not familiar w/ "Bear Camera" and don't see it listed in my Oakland/Berkeley Yellow Pages.) Last time I was at Seawood, they had several 8x10s (I've never noticed an 11x14, however), a number of 4x5 fields and monorails, and some smaller view cameras. They have a web site, but it is usually not very up to date. The 8x10 I bought there continued to be listed for months (may still be there).

Check out Keeble and Schuchat 261 California St., in Palo Alto. 650 327 8511