Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tiny hairline scratch - probably not a big deal, right?

Re: Tiny hairline scratch - probably not a big deal, right?

Yup, figured I had nothing to lose, as I basically bought the shutter and got the lenses for free. I was just as shocked that it worked as well as it did.

erie

Confidently Agnostic!

Yeah, they are pretty good there. I am pretty anal retentive about my gear, *but* returning it is a hassle, and I got what I consider a pretty good price for it (KEH sells the rodenstock stamped one for $800 in EX condition, so half that for a lens with a hairline scratch probably is a fair price).

Anyway the seller seems cool with taking it back if necessary, and I get my shenhao next week, so I should be able to brutalize it with worst-possible-scenario lighting and see if I get any unwelcome little ghosts in my images.

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Walter,

Since you're in Calgary... take it down to The Camera Store and speak with them. I've always found them to be pretty decent folks to deal with.

Alternatively, ask if they rent out lf cameras.

All of the good advice notwithstanding... if you're remotely anal retentive like many lf shooters are... Ralph is right. It'll bug your butt until the situation is rectified. Sure, it won't be an issue in so far as the image goes... but it'll still bug your butt just "knowing" that there's a problem there.

Or, at least... that's the way it is with me!

Cheers
    Last edited by walter23; 4-Nov-2006 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Yeah, they are pretty good there. I am pretty anal retentive about my gear, *but* returning it is a hassle, and I got what I consider a pretty good price for it (KEH sells the rodenstock stamped one for $800 in EX condition, so half that for a lens with a hairline scratch probably is a fair price).

Anyway the seller seems cool with taking it back if necessary, and I get my shenhao next week, so I should be able to brutalize it with worst-possible-scenario lighting and see if I get any unwelcome little ghosts in my images.
    Walter,

So, it's the 90 Caltar f4.5?

If it is... $400, IIRC, isn't a bad price for it but it isn't a GREAT price either. Do a check on "completed transactions" on the bay to see what the market pricing is on a lens like that.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Confidently Agnostic!

No, 90 f/6.8. Don't bother telling me I got burned if I did, because I don't want to hear it

They seem to be selling at about $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Walter,

So, it's the 90 Caltar f4.5?

If it is... $400, IIRC, isn't a bad price for it but it isn't a GREAT price either. Do a check on "completed transactions" on the bay to see what the market pricing is on a lens like that.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    No, 90 f/6.8. Don't bother telling me I got burned if I did, because I don't want to hear it

They seem to be selling at about $500.
    No, you didn't really get burned...

Let us know how it turns out, ok?

Good luck.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Confidently Agnostic!

I'm happy with the lens now. I've shot a 20 box of type 54 with it and a couple of negatives - I haven't really tested it in the kind of conditions where I might expect to notice any effect, but I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Cheers.