Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Time Savers in the Field

Re: Time Savers in the Field

I carry 10 lenses in a reel case. Open the top and there they are in order of focal length.
    In addition, my spot meter stays in it holster on my belt.

For financial reasons, I only own one LF lens. The 150mm lens is mounted to the camera while it is in the camera bag. It's very quick then to mount on the tripod. I use a composing card before setting up the camera as well. Because I only own the one lens I have developed a good understanding of movements with this lens, depth of field, vignetting, etc. With my 35mm outfit I have many affordable lenses but it's interesting that sometimes when I'm juggeling those 35mm lenses around I have missed the best moment of light, or the moment when the wind comes to a stop, or I missed what would have been a better thought out composition. I think the advantage of having only one lens is that it is a real time saver.

Forget about a tripod---put a 1/4-20 thread on the hood of your 4x4. Keep the camera mounted. Don't use a lens cap. Keep a holder in the camera with the dark slide already pulled and ready for action. You can't focus on the gg of course but with a wire sports finder you don't need the gg! Just get a looooong cable release.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Forget about a tripod---put a 1/4-20 thread on the hood of your 4x4. . . .
    I tried something similar in a smaller format, but it didn't work out very well.

My routine is open tripod as I'm running, plant at appropriate height. Open backpack, pull out camera, flip the lock switch, lock rear standard with right knob only. Flip open front standard (Tachihara), lock rise and tilt with right knob only. If it's going to be a wide angle shot, bring rear standard forward, bring front standard back appropriately. Loosen focus lock. Grab lens tucked in gnass lens case (not zippered), removing caps before standing up. Screw on cable release, pop onto camera. Grab dark cloth (black jacket) and fit over rear (if no time, I won't tighten). Duck underneath, focus as fast as possible. Use ballhead to move camera in position (so horizon is level). Tilt or rise (if anything is vertical and speed is an issue, I'll just stop down more and forgo tilts). I won't blow up to 40x50, but 16x20 should be ok, no?) Take off cloth and smash in bag, grab meter and film holder. Slam film holder in. Find brightest spot, meter, drop 1.5 stops, close aperture, cock shutter (heh heh, I said cock) and set aperture to 22 or 32 (maybe 45 if I'm desperate) release shutter, pull dark slide, cock shutter, make exposure, replace dark slide, breath, and use other sheet of film if I got this far. Whew!
    Laurent

Invariably, the first place I set up is ten meters away from where I take the photo - you know what I mean: you get the tripod extended and are having a virtual garage sale with everything else, and then you realize that you're in the wrong spot. What a waste of time!

I've been carrying a lightweight "blue tarp" underneath the top flap of my pack - after dealing with the tripod I unfurl the blue tarp and - essentially - dump the contents of the pack onto the tarp. Then, when I realize I'm in the wrong spot (or I just want to relocate to a nearby position), I grab the tripod and whatever's attached with one hand, and a pick up the blue tarp by the corners and hustle to the new position.

I've been using a really old viewfinder for a while, though unfortunately it only gave me one view comparible to one lens I use. Recently I managed to get an old Kodak Retina 35/80 viewfinder, which now is closer to my usual two lenses for viewing a scene. The idea is to get a rough view prior to ever taking the camera out of the bag. These are not plentiful used items, though certainly much less expensive than a Linhof viewfinder.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

"I think the advantage of having only one lens is that it is a real time saver."

I believe another advantage is that you'll probably make more consistently good pictures than the rest of us by being extremely familiar with one lens, and not distracted by choice!

I do projects where I limit myself in equipment and film choises, shutter speed choices, anything to keep extraneous distractions at a minimum. So far, these projects have produced my best work.

So good for you with only one lens! Quicker and better! Use leftover money to buy and use film!

All best,
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

"I think the advantage of having only one lens is that it is a real time saver."

I believe another advantage is that you'll probably make more consistently good pictures than the rest of us by being extremely familiar with one lens, and not distracted by choice!

I do projects where I limit myself in equipment and film choices, shutter speed choices, subject matter choices...anything to keep extraneous distractions at a minimum. So far, these projects have produced my best work.

So good for you with only one lens! Quicker and better! Use leftover money to buy and use film!

All best,
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Having watched as many photographers set up camera from beginners to experts. I would say the first thing is DON”T PANIC. This will slow you down and could lead to a miss hap.

The second thing is practice the more you know your equipment the less you have to think about the process of setting up the camera.

I always guess the exposure before taking the meter reading, this at times of need of speed to get the exposure is very helpful because if you get good it is a step you can skip.

Richard Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net