Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera/Gear Collectors Forum?

Re: Camera/Gear Collectors Forum?

Dan: On the contrary...I am very happy to read from the responses that many others like/use old equipment. The preponderance of posts elsewhere in the forum are, however, on high-end, newer equipment. This is as it should be, however I would love to read more on the old stuff that is still in use. My two old girls have not shown me the end of their capabilities yet! That is why I am suggesting a separate area where posts on old stuff can be easily found by those seeking information to help repair, restore or operate equipment that may not be supported anymore, or to share ideas or experiences on ways to improve the equipment.

BTW...thanks for the camera eccentric website...it is great!
    Last edited by Rafael Garcia; 18-Oct-2006 at 20:20.

I have to admit that my field cameras, made by Billcliff, are sitting in a glass cabinet as I hadn't realised that they were usable! I bought them, (together with a studio camera) as my mother was a Billcliff and had made the bellows for them. As far as I know (which is not a lot) the cameras are in working order. Does anyone have any information they can provide on Billcliff cameras, or explain in layman's terms what I need to get them out of the glass cabinet and into work?

Thanks,

Alison

We would need a lot more information on the cameras themselves:
    Wet plate or sheet film? - what size?
    Is the lens there, is it good (not cloudy, with a working iris that opens/shuts)?
    Is the shutter firing? If sluggish it can be cleaned.
    Is the bellows light-tight? Inspect it by looking inside with a lamp close by in a deak room.
    Is the hardware there/ working?

It's simple: If all the above are fine, then all you need is film. I believe there are some focus differences between wet plate and sheet film cameras, but I don't know much other than a wat plate camera can be adjusted to take sheet film easily.

Good luck!

I don't see a real need for a collector's forum. To do so would merely complicate the forum structure with no real benefit to most members who use what works, whatever its age.

Besides, the term carries too much "baggage" of its own. And, if one were to ask almost any member of one of the digitally-dominated forums, we're all antiques, anyway.

Well, for one it would help LFers with truly vintage equipment by having an accessible location to post info on their cameras for others with "project" cameras to see/read what is necessary to restore/repair the old equipment, without going through the tons of information on Tachiharas, Shen-Haos, Toyos, etc.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I think I know what you are looking for, Rafael. But I tend to agree with Dan and Ralph on this issue. If you have something interesting to post about antique photo gear... just post it. Those of us with interest in antique camera restoration/usage will find your posting.

If not terribly impolite to mention in LF Forum, I might mention that APUG has a forum called "Plate Cameras".

I thought this was a camera/gear collectors forum, with a few developer pissing matches thrown in for spice.

Jay

I deleted my previous, rushed, response because I may have been less than gracious in my message.

I frankly do not understand the opposition to the idea. It seems like those of us that have gotten started in LF with less than expensive state-of-the-art cameras and simple lenses have a lot in common with others with the same budget limitations. When I log onto the forum I have to search for information relevant to my equipment among a majority of posts inquiring about particular features of cameras and lenses that I am not ready to purchase at this time due to their incredibly high costs. I understand that many of you are professionals in the field, therefore need the expensive equipment to be at the top of your form. I don't, for a second, deny the applicability and adequateness of those posts to their intended audience. I would prefer to have a place where those with older equipment could post to share similar concerns or provide relevant information. Yes, we all learn from reading all posts no matter what the equipment is, and I for one still do read about all the fancy stuff, but having quick access to the sub-group of old camera stuff, I think, might be helpful.

Anyway, it is not all that important. I am more surprised by the opposition than anything else. I thought it was a pretty harmless proposal that would be easily agreeable.

Rafael, I agree totally. My "newest" camera is mid 1940's. And is it just me, or do most questions and/or comments have to contain the word "Tachiwhatever, Arca-wherever, or Linhof, etc etc" just to elicit a response? Like you, I read and wade through the endless schneidly comments and use what I can find that may closely relate. I do read apehuggers forum, photo-net, flickr, etc. but I still agree that one section heading for the "antique" "users" would be very helpful. If I had the big bucks to support a tachi, I would very seriously consider one. But my wife and kids tend to think they need food and shelter more. Dang narrow-minded bunch!!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
    I deleted my previous, rushed, response because I may have been less than gracious in my message.

Anyway, it is not all that important. I am more surprised by the opposition than anything else. I thought it was a pretty harmless proposal that would be easily agreeable.
    I don't quite know why you are upset. You asked for opinion and people gave their opinion - some agreed with you and some didn't.

Others have told you this, but you are not alone in your enthusiasm for old, user cameras. My most modern LF is from the 1980's, but I often use my 1970's-vintage SuperGraphic... and now my "new" 1940's vintage Anniversary Graphic. In other formats (MF and 35mm) I have "modern" cameras from the 1980's, but still use my 1950's-vintage TLR and 35mm rangefinder frequently. I have a couple of turn-of-the-20th-century cameras that one day will be restored and used.

Like others have said... finding information on these old cameras is difficult, but it is easier if one asks rather than waiting for someone else to ask. Initiating a thread might make it easier for you to engage in the conversations you would like without having to read through all of the modern camera talk.