Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MAGNAchrom Launches!

Talking MAGNAchrom Launches!

The premier issue of MAGNAchrom is now available for free to registered users at www.magnachrom.com.

I started MAGNAchrom to offer the medium and large format community a publication that would provide up-to-date, accurate information, was handsomely designed, international in scope, and most of all, featured the photography of dedicated users of medium and large format equipment who had few other international avenues to see their work published. As such, we won't focus on the work of the already famous. Instead, I firmly believe that the best photography being done today is produced by largely unknown people (the vast majority of whom are amateurs) who have been quietly working "under the radar" out of view of already existing publications.

Oh, and MAGNAchrom is advertising-sponsored, so it will always be free to registered users. Yes, yes, we need some information about you — nothing personal mind you (for example, we never want your mailing address or phone numbers or God help me your credit card information). Rather, our advertisers will need to know what countries people are from, what kinds of camera equipment you use, etc. So to the extent that you wish to help MAGNAchrom succeed, then tell us as much as you can so that advertisers can continue to foot the bill.

Why is MAGNAchrom considered a hybrid magazine you ask? Well, first of all, the free version can be downloaded and viewed on your monitor and/or printed to your inkjet printer for reading later. Secondly, at the end of each Volume (currently scheduled for six issues per year) we will print a limited-edition, high-resolution, beautifully bound book of all six issues which will be offered for sale. Thirdly, each issue of MAGNAchrom will undergo constant builds over its lifetime. In this way, MAGNAchrom is a bit like a software application and will constantly evolve. And lastly, there is nothing that would prevent us from (eventually) printing the issues for distribution to newstands — however, we can only reach this last stage with your support.

So how can you best support MAGNAchrom? First by being truthful about the information about yourself. (I'll be suspicious from the get go if I start seeing lots of large-format "photographers" from Mongolia!) The cummulative data will help convince those advertisers who are "on the fence" to advertise with us. The kind of aggregated information they will be interested in will be like: "Total number of UK Medium Format users who downloaded issue #2" — that kind of thing. Eventually, they can tailor their advertising to our audience, whose composition only time will tell. Secondly, you can support MAGNAchrom by telling your friends and colleagues about us — needless to say, especially those friends and collegues who are interested in medium and large format photography! And thirdly, you can assist us by contributing articles, offering to review equipment (both new and collectible), and/or presenting your portfolio for review using the Contribute! page.

Finally, what separates MAGNAchrom is that we will use your feedback to change and improve each issue. Instead of excuses, you will see spelling and/or grammatical errors fixed asap. Further as each issue will undergo many "builds" during its lifetime, we can add additional information to the old articles — for example, mentioning that such-and-such product has been updated to a newer model, or so-and-so recently won a prestigious award or wrote a book (or posthumously, so-and-so is no longer with us). This way, even old issues of MAGNAchrom will be up-to-date. All we need is your feedback.

So you see, in a very real way, this can be your magazine. We want to feature you and your work and your ideas. Keep in touch. You can email me anytime.

Re: MAGNAchrom Launches!

I had the opportunity to register early to help Michael trouble shoot registration glitches and download the first issue.

The magazine is extremely well laid out, very attractive. It has some advantages over print that are undeniable. Michael can use as many pages as he wants on any one subject, for example he has a very in depth reviewe of scanning backs as well as a Goersi camera, both of which did not interest me so I just skimmed over them..... LOL.. just kidding Michael, you cannot belong to this forum without me giving a magazine publisher a hard time at least once!

Since the issues are published in pdf format you can download them and read at your leisure and of course you can print it if you want to do so.

All in all, I was very impressed with this first issue, I wish Michael success and if the quality continues to be in this same level I am sure he will be.

About time to have an online magazine dedicated only to M/L format.The magazine not only is very well laid out also is very informative. your dedication is very well appreciated in the photographic community in Boston.Thanks Mr.sullivan,great job!

www.Bostonphotographycenter.com

A very worthwhile read for me. I especially enjoyed the panoramas.

Sign-up was quick and easy. Completely free.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 14-Oct-2006 at 09:41.

Well done! Informative and well designed.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Superb! I can hardly wait for the next issue.

Technical note on registration: Netscape 7 not working (also tried Mozilla). The page of questions flashes up for half a second, then the screen goes back to the Registration page, though the e-mail and password fields are blank. Is this only supposed to work in Internet Exploder?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Technical note on registration: Netscape 7 not working (also tried Mozilla). The page of questions flashes up for half a second, then the screen goes back to the Registration page, though the e-mail and password fields are blank. Is this only supposed to work in Internet Exploder?
    hmmm... we definitely have had some trouble with some earlier browsers. Fully tested on current versions of Firefox, IE, and Safari.

What specific version of Browser are you using?
    What specific version of OS are you using?

Cheers
    Michael

Hello Michael,

I tried it in Netscape 7.02 and 7.1, then Mozilla 1.3. Operating systems included Windows 2000, and Mac OS. The computers I normally use for internet and e-mail are older. No big deal if your site only works on newer systems, though I guess I might miss the articles. I am probably in the minority of users/viewers.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Last edited by Gordon Moat; 14-Oct-2006 at 11:42.

I didn't get a conformation link by email. Use IE.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)