Thread: Linhof bosscreen on a RH Phillips 4x5?

Linhof bosscreen on a RH Phillips 4x5?

I have a question about the use of a Bosscreen made for a Linhof with a RH Philips 4x5.
    When I install the screen the inner glass (closer to lens) sits up on the frame in the 5 inch dimension of the camera and I am not sure this is correct. At the narrower, 4 inch dimension the inner glass does not sit on the frame And the 'tape' which is attached to outer sheet of glass (closer to viewer) barely rests on the frame. I say barely because it is lifted away by the thickness of the inner glass.
    I'm attaching a photo of the corner of the bosscreen as installed in my camera which will hopefully make this clearer. The view is from the user's side of the bosscreen. In the photo you can see the cut corner inner glass sitting up on the camera frame and not sitting on the frame where there is tape. Since the tape is not right up on the frame I have a suspicion this is not correct.

Re: Linhof bosscreen on a RH Phillips 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by David Goldes View Post
    I have a question about the use of a Bosscreen made for a Linhof with a RH Philips 4x5.
    When I install the screen the inner glass (closer to lens) sits up on the frame in the 5 inch dimension of the camera and I am not sure this is correct. At the narrower, 4 inch dimension the inner glass does not sit on the frame And the 'tape' which is attached to outer sheet of glass (closer to viewer) barely rests on the frame. I say barely because it is lifted away by the thickness of the inner glass.
    I'm attaching a photo of the corner of the bosscreen as installed in my camera which will hopefully make this clearer. The view is from the user's side of the bosscreen. In the photo you can see the cut corner inner glass sitting up on the camera frame and not sitting on the frame where there is tape. Since the tape is not right up on the frame I have a suspicion this is not correct.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've used four BosScreens in four different cameras. When ordering I was required to specify the camera on which the screen would be used. So I don't think they're interchangeable among cameras and one made for a Linhof likely wouldn't fit another camera unless perhaps that camera had the exact same dimensions and used the same shims as a Linhof.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I believe that Linhoff uses screens that are a slightly different shape to most manufacturers - longer and thinner.

David Whistance

They are made to fit specific cameras. I used one on a Phillips 4x5 and it was made specifically for that camera's dimensions.

Today I set up the camera with a 210, focused at infinity on a distant object and carefully switched out the regular GG and put in the bosscreen. The result---as suspected, there is a focus shift because of the Linhof/philips mismatch. The other result is taunting-- it is much easier to focus with the Bossscreen!
    David