Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep track of time when tray-develop?

How do you keep track of time when tray-develop?

Hi,

I wonder how you keep track of time when you tray-develop your negative.

When I develop MF and 35-film (in a jobo) I have made a program that runs on my phone (java-application) which plays a sound every 30 seconds (to know when to agitate) and I can see the remaining time in the display.

However in a darkroom it isn't that safe because a phone call during my develop will light up the display, so therefor I can't use that program and now I wonder how you do it.

/ Marcus

Re: How do you keep track of time when tray-develop?

I have a large Omega Pro-Lab timer with a phosphorescent dial. It's far enough from the film and dim enough that it doesn't cause any fog. The old Gralab timers are like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I have a large Omega Pro-Lab timer with a phosphorescent dial. It's far enough from the film and dim enough that it doesn't cause any fog. The old Gralab timers are like this as well.
    David - about how far might that be? I get so creeped-out over fog my old Gralab sits face-up in a pulled-out drawer ... where I can't hardly see the second hand swinging. Used to have it on the wall a couple of feet above the dev. tray, but worried I was getting some surreptitious fog.

Bruce

I put light tight plastic (the kind that photographic paper comes in) over the timer while I am loading the film into the trays. Once the tray is in the developer I cover the entire tray with a large plastic sheet then uncover the timer. I am probably more cautious than is necessary, but it doesn't take much effort and for me it is worth the peace of mind.
    Last edited by Ben Crane; 12-Oct-2006 at 12:31.

Get an old tape recorder and record a time track. Start, aggitate..... 30 sec .... one minute........... one minute 30.....two minutes and onward

I can't take credit for it, but incorporated into my work flow!

Don't need no stinkin badges.. ur, light sources

Bob

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

A CD player. I program the tracks to give me the time needed, and start the player just before I open the box of film. FP4+ in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100, developed for three Gymnopedies, is just about right. With DD-23 I use one for developer, one for afterbath.

My Gralab is about 3-feet from my film developing tray. I've never seen any sign of fog. I think the combination of the color of the glow and the eyes ability to adapt makes us think the timer face is much brighter than it actually is.
    juan

Little digital timers from Radio Shack, et al. They beep when the set time is up and can be reset to run the same time again and again. I keep several on hand. I don't usually do film in trays, though. Unicolor print drum and roller. I don't like trying to work in total darkness. I'm too clumsy for that stuff.

I use a Zone VI compensating development timer. It has a sensor that you put in the developer tray, and it beeps every 30 sec. Its set for 68 degrees, but with testing, you can alter the times. I just checked Calumets website, and it wasn't there, but they're probably available used.
    I also use an old gra-lab timer. I just sheild it from the film, but position it so I can see it about 6 feet away, works great.
    -Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    Little digital timers from Radio Shack, et al. They beep when the set time is up and can be reset to run the same time again and again. I keep several on hand. I don't usually do film in trays, though. Unicolor print drum and roller. I don't like trying to work in total darkness. I'm too clumsy for that stuff.
    Similar timers are sold for kitchen use. I've used one for many years with no problems. Before then I counted the ticks of a clock. That's no fun. It does work well when doing complex dodging and burning of prints, though.
    Last edited by Jim Jones; 12-Oct-2006 at 20:39.