Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 59 Image digital mosaic

Re: 59 Image digital mosaic

Seems to me that someone could just take an HD video camera into the field, then pan across a given scene, maybe including panning as a grid pattern. Then pick out individual frames to reassemble, place into stitching software, go get a coffee, then when you come back . . . voila: a complete image.

Okay, lots of ways to make images, but I don't really see anything as substituting using a view camera. The approach is different, composing on a ground glass is different. I suppose when a view camera is either too large, too inconvenient, or too heavy, then something else will keep someone making images. In that case, the best camera is the one you have with you.

I own something like 15 different cameras (last time I tried to count), and they all get used in slightly different ways. I only own one view camera, and when I use it the feeling and approach for me are more like using a sketchbook than using a camera. Perhaps for those who find camera gear too heavy, or too inconvenient, I might suggest they try to go somewhere and draw what they see.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Greg, I am curious why you use 13 images for the composite. For a composite I think of, for example, three rows of 4 or three rows of 5.
    Ron - It is just how I see the world. My typical image is 1 row of 13 (thus a panorama). But I have done grid like images as you suggest that yield a more traditional aspect ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Ron - It is just how I see the world. My typical image is 1 row of 13 (thus a panorama). But I have done grid like images as you suggest that yield a more traditional aspect ratio.
    Thanks Greg, just curious.

I am usually not really impressed by these mega-stitched images... most of the ones I see are pretty regular daytime scenes.

I think this method is more valuable for creating images you otherwise couldn't, such as super wide panoramas, or composite scenes that never actually existed at one given time.

Bob Kim has some amazing stitched images.