Thread: Magnets and scanners

Magnets and scanners

Hello all,

I am about to recieve a microtek 1800f flat bed scanner that I will be using to scan 8x10 color negatives. I am planning on using the glassless film tray and adding a sort of metal "window mat" that the edges of the 8x10 negative can rest on. Then, I am planning on laying a magnetic "window mat" over that to secure the film edges. So, my main question is if a flexible sheet magnet used in this way could have any negative effects on the scanner? I have done the normal window mat before and taped the negative to it, but I don't like that method. I could wet mount using the glass tray, but would rather not. My last option would be to use the antinewton glass from focal point for this scanner, but I'd rather not have the glass surface at all. And even if I did go this route, I'd still want to use those flexible sheet magnets to hold down the negative on the glass...it'd be much easier than tape. So, is anyone using this flexible magnet stuff, and is it okay? Thanks.

Re: Magnets and scanners

I think your best bet is to try it. I would expect things to be pretty well shielded so the magnet will not affect anything. In fact some other scanners (like the Polaroid Sprintscan 45) use magnets to secure film to their metal holders.

Guy

I tried that once on an older Epson Expression 1680 and as the scan head moved it pulled the magnets I placed on the corners of the sheet of 8x10 film.

Now I use a piece of anti-Newton Ring glass.

Good luck.

Anybody Else?