Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from upstate New York

Hello from upstate New York

Having lurked here now for a few weeks I think I'll say Hi.....HI! I discovered this forum while being fairly active on APUG, and seeing it referred to quite often. I'm happy to see so many familiar names from there. Though I guess I'm a traditional process and materials partisan, I'm also willing to find out as much about digital issues as I can. It's nice to see how well they seem to coexixt here. (at least I think they do. .....Yes?)

I've been using a view camera now for just a few years, but I've learned to really enjoy it. Actually, I've wanted to use one for much of my life, but lacked the space for a 4x5 enlarger. My dad did LF portraiture when I was a little kid and I loved being in the darkroom with him....OTOH, I hated being asked/told to be the subject. Building a darkroom three years ago finally allowed me the opportunity to get an LPL4550XLVCCE to go along with the Beseler 23CIII for my 6x7 negs, and that was the impetus to begin the adventure.

This seems to be a fine place to learn, and I've certainly got a bunch of that to do. Nice to meet you all.....er.....y'all....(my wife is from the "SOUTH"!).
    Last edited by John Voss; 5-Oct-2006 at 14:10.

Re: Hello from upstate New York

John -

Welcome. I'm a bit North of you, but I think we share both the advantages (wonderful landscapes, outstanding cultural environment) and disadvantages (taxes, ineffective government) of New York.

Smile Re: Hello from upstate New York

Welcome John.
    I too am from upstate NY; like you I found this site a few months ago and it is one of my hang outs. This group isn't nearly as noisey as the folks over at APUG, seems to be a lot more tolerance over here.

Welcome!

Seems like there are a lot of folks from upstate New York here. It must be the fumes from the "Great Yellow Father..." I lived in Rochester for five years while attending RIT. Rochester has always been a "serious" photography town.

Cheers,

Max

Howdy neighbor!

I should probably explain that John (a very talented photogrpaher) and I are lieterally neighbors, but we tend to bump into each other most often in the dark recesses of the internet - like photography bulletin boards...

Hi John,

Welcome to the club.... from Vancouver, BC in Canada!

Digital? Didn't he play for the Rams... or was that the Giants???

Just kidding!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

A wave from scenic Binghamton to you guys, even if you are a little too close to Albany for comfort.

Thank you guys for your welcome. New York State is still fertile ground for wonderful photography as it was for the Hudson River School painters of the 19th century, and still is for those who continue in that tradition. BTW Capocheny (geez, I first read that as cacophony...sorry!), having been in BC once a few years ago, it'd be one of those wonderful places I'd have no trouble using a camera nearly every day. And hey Greg! how come we might as well live in different countries. Let's meet up for a day with the cameras. How about Sam's Point while the leaves are colorful?

Thanks again, all.

Re: Hello from upstate New York. kingston

hey guys,
    keep a look out i am lurking around the hudson valley too. mostly ulster county.
    later
    eddie