Thread: View Camera Conference event suggestion...

Scott Davis

View Camera Conference event suggestion...

It is my understanding that the "Speed Date a View Camera" event was a big success at this year's VC Conference. In light of this, it might be nice to try and do a similar event but with scanners - get the major manufacturers to bring some scanner examples, and set them up on workstations along with different software drivers (Silverfast Ai, Vuescan, etc) so people can do test-drives as well. I know I will be in the market in the not-too-distant future for a new scanner, and I'm sure lots of other folks would appreciate the chance too, instead of having to run from CompUSA to Best Buy to their local camera store to a half-dozen websites to do some research and get some accurate answers about the capabilities of the hardware.

Re: View Camera Conference event suggestion...

Scott,

A great idea and one we have considered but it may be very difficult to accomplish. With "Speed Dating a Camera" (which we will do again in Louisville) it is simply a question of setting up all the camaeras. With the scanners it is not just the scanners but also computers, monitors, printers, etc. Doesn't mean it won't happen but it is tough. I have talked to Microtek and Eizo about participating in such an event and the response was positive. Even if it happens it will be highly unlikely that we could get any scanners other than the "consumer class" scanners there. The others are just too expensive and built in too low a quantity to make it possible.

Two other suggestions: 1) have you read the articles in View Camera Magazine over the past 12-18 months that Michael Mutmansky and I have written? Those articles cover most of the scanners that you would want to consider.

2) Blatant self promotion, but have you considered attending one of our Scanning/Digital Workflow workshops? We generally have at least 3 and usually four different scanners up and operating and are always working with Epson, Microtek and Silverfast Ai scanning software for comparison purposes. At the last workshop we had an Epson 4990, Microtek i800, Microtek 1800f and Microtek 1000XL. At the next workshop we will likely have an Epson 4990, Epson V Series, Microtek i800 and one other. The next workkshop will likely be Verteran's Day Weekend. Send me a PM for more info.

Finally, unfortunately, you won't find most of the scanners you would want to buy at Best Buy, maybe at CompUSA. Also, beware of the information you gather in the internet and what your local camera store salesman tells you; there is a distinct possibility that it will be highly inaccurate.

Ted, I'm trying to get some LF'ers in this area to attend the conference. Do you have a proposed list of workshops, etc. for the conference? Personally, I'm hoping for some alternative processes sessions.

Doug,

Its a little bit early for that. Many presenters like myself love doing the VC Conference, but cannot make a firm commitment till closer to the event, because of other possible projects etc.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Doug,

We hope to announce workshops in the next issue of the magazine. In the works now are the following (not yet definite but getting close):

1) Some sort of an alternative process workshop, likely a half day, during the workshop or the day before.

2) A scanning and digital workflow workshop, same schedule as #1.

3) Very tentative, a half day figure study (or portrait) workshop during the conference.

4) Three or four 2.5 to 3 day workshops run in conjunction with the Conference but a part of it. There will be one or two before and oen or two after. They will take place at Bernheim Forest about 30 miles from Louisville and will be residential. Probable topics will be: Introduction to Large Format, Large Format Master Class, Environmental Portraiture and Figure Studies. The workshops that will run during the conference will be held at the University of Louisville and a local commercial studio.

All of the workshops will be strictly limited in terms pf participants as they are all designed to be a hands-on learning and work experience. We will likely stick with the 12 participants that we used last year.

We are working hard to get all the details firmed up as quickly as possible and will have more details in the next week or two.

Feel free to PM or email me with any more specific questions.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 6-Oct-2006 at 06:50.