Thread: Need help on lens board hole location

Need help on lens board hole location

I have recently purchased a Nikkor 450M lens in Copal #3 shutter and a Linhof Tech IV/V lens board which has a 54mm off center hole. I plan to redrill for the Copal #3, which, according to the chart on this forum, requires a 65mm hole.

The bottom of the existing hole is 7mm from the bottom of the 80mm diameter inside ring (light trap).

If I drill a new hole with the bottom of the new hole in the same place as the bottom of the old hole there will be 8mm at the top and 7mm at the bottom. Is this OK, or should I place the new hole lower?

Or, perhaps a simpler question is; does anyone know how the hole is placed in a Linhof board predrilled for a #3 Copal shutter?

Jerome

Re: Need help on lens board hole location

Not being a Linhof user, I'd center the new hole on the center of the old one, so as to maintain the relative offset. The center of the old hole is, of course, "missing" or lies in the space of the hole. So, you'd need to clamp the board such that the center could be marked on a backing board for use as a guide.

First lensboards are not drilled they are milled. This ensures accurate placement and eliminates any chaance of the board warping.

The #3 Linhof Technika 45 lensboard is Cat. # 001059. The hole is 65.09mm in diameter and the top of the hole is 22.12 mm from the top of the board.

The longest lens that Linhof lists as working on the Technika IV, V, Master or 2000 is the 400mm 5.6 Apo Tele Xenar. You may need the Wista extension lensboard set to use the 450mm. Especially if you want to focus in a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    First lensboards are not drilled they are milled. This ensures accurate placement and eliminates any chaance of the board warping.

The #3 Linhof Technika 45 lensboard is Cat. # 001059. The hole is 65.09mm in diameter and the top of the hole is 22.12 mm from the top of the board.

The longest lens that Linhof lists as working on the Technika IV, V, Master or 2000 is the 400mm 5.6 Apo Tele Xenar. You may need the Wista extension lensboard set to use the 450mm. Especially if you want to focus in a ways.
    Thanks Bob. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

My camera is a 5x7 Tech III with an adaptor to use the smaller 4x5 Tech IV/V boards. I do mostly landscape stuff so I am normally working at or near infinity.

Using the dimensions you provided, that places the bottom of the hole about 3.4mm from the bottom of the light trap ring and about 11mm at the top. I assume 3.4mm enough space for the retaining ring (I won’t have the lens for a couple of days so I can’t check it yet). I think I can handle enlarging the hole w/o warping the board. If not….does anyone have a spare?

Jerome