Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: View Camera vs. Field Camera

View Camera vs. Field Camera

So,
    I want to get a 4x5 camera but I am not sure what to get....
    Ansel, talks about a view camera where everyother person i've met say that view cameras are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Whats everyones take?
    Also there is a Kodak masterview with a ziess 135 4.5 and a decent tripod for $599 everything looked in order, is this a deal? what do you think?

Peace OUT
    RadChad

Re: View Camera vs. Field Camera

If you are interestede in large format go to

www.viewcamera.com

and to

Free Articles

also, get one of these books

Using the View Camera. User's Guide to the View Camera, or Large Format Nature Photography. Check your library

steve simmons

You should understand what the terms mean. You can find out about these matters in several places. One good source is the book by Steve Simmons, Using the View Camera.

But let me briefly go over it. A view camera is one in which you can open the lens for viewing and observe the scene on a ground glass to compose. You then set shutter speed and aperture, insert film, and take the picture. View cameras also allow you to move the front of the camera holding the lens in relation to the back in a variety of ways. This gives you greater freedom in framing the picture or in selecting just what will be in focus.

View cameras come in a variety of sizes and in different forms. The most common ones are designed for 4 x 5 sheet film, but you can get a vew camera for use with a small format digital back and the sizes go up to 11 x 14 inches and beyond. There are a variety of backs for using these cameras with sheet film, roll film holders, digital backs, etc. View cameras generally allow mounting a variety of lenses on the front.

The two basic forms of view camera are the monorail and field cameras. A monorail mounts both the back and front on a rail with a flexible bellows in between, and generally allows more flexibility, but may be more difficult to transport. Field cameras are more like the film cameras you are familiar with in that everything is in one case which folds up. When open, the camera works similarly to a monorail except you often have fewer possible adjustments of the back.

Although this describes the basic dichotomy, some view cameras are intermeidate between field cameras and monorails. There are also a few cameras which use 4 x 5 film but which are not meant to be used only as view cameras. Examples are the Speed Graphics and similar cameras or technical cameras such as the LInhof. These cameras do have some movements, usually only in front, but they also have rangefinders, so they can be used without having to view an image on the ground glass.

I don't know anything about the specific camera you describe or if it is worth the price. Maybesomeone else will comment.

The front page of this site reviews many current models of view and field cameras:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/roundup4x5.html

Leonard's right -- they are all view cameras. The difference is between studio cameras (monorails) and field cameras, based on where the particular camera architecture is best suited. Which brings us all to the question you need to answer: what is your intended use?

If you plan to do landscapes or anything that requires maximum portability, then a field camera is probably the most rational choice. OTOH, if you will be working in a studio environment, or if you need the maximum versatility in movements, then a monorail camera may be a better idea. Having carried a Calumet 540 monorail in a backpack, I can state with some authority that there are easier cameras to haul around; it's why I now use a field camera.

Also keep in mind that most field cameras don't have quite as many movements available as do monorails, which typically offer all possible variations of tilt and shift.

So...
    I don't need a lecture about what they are, I want opinions on which one you'd get and if that kodak is a good deal!
    Peace OUT
    radchad

People are giving you general answers, not lectures, because they can't do more than that with the information you've given them. What do you want to take pictures of? Where are you going to use it? Indoors, next to the car, or 10 miles from the nearest road? Nobody here would presume to tell you what you ought to get without knowing what you want to do. And, no, that is not a good deal in my opinion. You can either learn something about this, with a basic book such as Using the View Camera or you can go ahead and buy something that isn't right for what you want to do with it. Or you can give people enough information to help you make a good choice.

Temporarily suspending my belief in the existence of trolls...

Quote Originally Posted by radchad View Post
    So...
    I don't need a lecture about what they are, I want opinions on which one you'd get and if that kodak is a good deal!
    Peace OUT
    radchad
    The link I listed below has reviews of many view cameras. It discusses their pros and cons, and which conditions they are most suited for. You should take the time to read it.

Only you can decide what best suits your needs.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 2-Oct-2006 at 14:13.

LOL..... Did you by any chance write the book "How to make friends"? You seem to have a knack for it....

Quote Originally Posted by radchad View Post
    So...
    Peace OUT
    radchad