Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Light Impressions??

Problems with Light Impressions??

I buy most of my mounting and storage stuff from Light Impressions. The quality is great, even if the prices are a little high. I have been noticing that I am getting more back ordered stuff, stuff that was usually in stock in the past. I have an ordered that has not shipped over more than 2 months. Is there a problem with the company? Any good alternatives?

Re: Problems with Light Impressions??

I've had the same problem this year with Light Impressions, though everything has shown up in the end. As an alternative, I placed one order for some boxes with Hollinger, but it wasn't packed very well and the boxes came a bit mangled. I recently received a catalog from University Products (www.universityproducts.com), and will keep an eye out for other vendors as well.

My last two orders from light impressions have also been back ordered. Both the orders were shipped within about a week though. I plan to keep using them but will be sure to order materials in advance of when I need them.

Great products and packaging, but I had to cancel my order because 3 out of 4 items (mat board) were out of stock. I don't understand why they would have to backorder so many basic items.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I've suspected for some time now that Light Impressions has gone to a "Just In Time" business model and they don't actually keep anything in stock anymore. They simply pass your order on to the supplier(s).

That makes a of sense. Their prices are enough higher than the competition that they could afford to pay a piece to third parties. I might not mind, but it now takes weeks for orders and my most recent one just disappeared.

I have not had much trouble with back ordered items, but this summer it took three tries to get some wide matts delivered without being creased in the middle. Light Impressions didn't seem to mind shipping replacements for them, but I had a customer waiting for several matted prints that were not provided in a timely manner and I felt bad having to keep explaining that there would be another delay. All it would have taken to prevent the matts getting bent was to put them in a box instead of just sandwiching them between two sheets of flat cardboard.

Over all I have been mostly happy with the service I have received from LI, only a couple bad spots, but when there was a mix-up it made me look bad to my own customers.

Just this past month I placed an order for a variety of items. They back ordered every single item. It took them eleven days to finally ship the order. Then another ten days until it finally reached me. The quality is great but this lag time is unsettling as I needed some matts for an image I sold. Sent two email inquiries, the second one strongly voicing my displeasure and never heard word from them. Makes me think twice about ordering from them again, at the least it would have been nice to get some sort of acknowledgement and response as to why the slow mo in processing orders. Would be nice too if they'd let you know on their web page when items are on back order. I'd advise anyone needing something in a hurry to definately look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Saulius; 2-Oct-2006 at 18:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Saulius View Post
    I'd advise anyone needing something in a hurry to definately look elsewhere.
    I would as well. Just ordered several things last week and got an email today stating that my item(s) are on backorder. No indication of what item, how many items, or when they might be shipped. I emailed to cancel but wonder now if it would be better to call.

Oh God, Light Impressions....
    Backorders? Yes...
    Poor service? Yes...
    I live a few miles from their facilities and they charge me $ 10 for picking up the stuff in the Will Call area.
    Reason? It costs money to them to have an employee stopping from what they are doing and giving me the stuff.
    Considering that it takes to this employee less then 5 minutes to see me walking out the door with the merchandise, that means their salary MUST be about $ 120 an hour. Not bad!