Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations for a cheap monorail for wide angles?

Re: Recommendations for a cheap monorail for wide angles?

Another vote for the readily available $350 Sinar F with a bag bellows. At first I was set on getting a F2 but in real life the F1 or earlier F is just fine (and you can always use a third standard for the shade if you do pick up another F2 or P rear standard.)

I have seen and tried to pack my old Norma and now the F for minimal packing -- and it can be done -- but the truth is that I am an out of the car shooter.

I would add a 4th option. Hang the monorail in the opening of a top loading back pack. I transport a Cambo SC with an 18 inch monorail this way. I haven't done a day long hike yet but it feels pretty stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Ed, I also have an F1, and have done a couple of day-long hikes with it. With a good pack it is not a problem for someone in fairly good physical condition. There are three options to pack the camera. Put both standards on a six inch rail. Detach the bellows and fold both standards inwards. Completely remove the standards from the rail. I used the first option. The key is a good backpack.

That said, I soon went out to buy a 3lb Toho monorail (see Kerry Thalmann's review on this site) which is a wonderful camera. I don't miss the Sinar at all. In fact now it is a 5x7, with the addition of a Norma rear standard and bellows.

Ed, I'd think seriously about buying an Ebony SW45 or 45S camera. They are way smaller and lighter than any monorail and I think from looking at your pictures that they'd do anything you want in the very most convenient way. The SW45 with 190mm of draw will focus a 180 to about 10 -12 feet and a 150 to about 3 feet. This camera will use a 47 on a flat board. I am thrilled with mine. If you need longer lenses then go for the 45S. A little less direct rise but more movements overall and 270 of bellows.

These two Ebony non-folding cameras are not cheap but they are worth what they cost in terms of ease of use, fast set up and plenty of precision. I came from an Arca Swiss and find the SW45 to be better in every respect for architecture where I never use longer than a 180 and seldom use that. The Ebony SW45 is a joy to use with wide angle to normal lenses - thats what its made for. I'd go for the 45S if I needed longer lenses.

Sell you old stuff and get one of these. Jim at Midwest can set you up.

SF Bay Area 94303

Check out the old CC402 (I think) calument with bag bellows. It was special wide angle camera. They flipped the standards around so things could get closer. Don't know if it will do a 47mm. If you can find one they will be cheap.