Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Large Format Journal

Re: Large Format Journal

Don,
    I agree that Jeremy Moore's image on page 61 is of poor quality (display, not actual); but that is not the case for most if not all the other images in the pdf. LFJ probably uses a page-layout program such as QuarkExpress; and designers who use such programs prefer images in tiff format. If an image is submitted to the magazine as a low-resolution jpeg, is it their responsibility to require re-submittal? Possibly, but that is a judgemental call that has to be weighed against deadlines, etc.. And ultimately its up to the artist/photographer to ensure proper submittal so that his work is displayed to best advantage.

I don't get Lenswork Extended, but would suspect that their CD or DVD contains alot more information and is therefore of better quality than a down-loadable pdf. Just noticed that View Camera plans to use the down-loadable pdf model for distribution. Now if B&W Photography(UK) would do the same, I'd be a happy reader ;-)
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug Howk; 15-Oct-2006 at 17:42.

I like the idea but the design is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    Just noticed that View Camera plans to use the down-loadable pdf model for distribution. Now if B&W Photography(UK) would do the same, I'd be a happy reader ;-)
    Yup! A little competition is a great thing!

(good for all of us in the large format community!)

Don't pat yourselves on the back because VC is going to be downloadable. That has been in the works for a long time.

Personally I prefer a real magazine that I can sit down and read. I get more than enough computer time and PDF's just don't cut it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks again for your comments. I too see the point regarding the image on page 61 - I've looked at both the lower res (30+mb) and higher res (80mb) files available for download and the jaggies appear on both versions. I'll check the original to see if this was something that I missed in the editing. I am also moving all our production processes to the full adobe "CS" suite of programs - this may help in the transition of the final product to the pdf format.

Thanks for that, Kirk. I could not agree more.

All best,
    Merg

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    Just noticed that View Camera plans to use the down-loadable pdf model for distribution. Now if B&W Photography(UK) would do the same, I'd be a happy reader ;-) Doug
    I am getting B&W in Japan for GBP 35 annually (12 issues). Why would I want a downloadable, to spend more time in front of the computer or shuffling pages of my DIY printouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    I am getting B&W in Japan for GBP 35 annually (12 issues). Why would I want a downloadable, to spend more time in front of the computer or shuffling pages of my DIY printouts?
    I have to agree... like Kirk, I'd also prefer to have a hard copy in front of me when I'm having a cappuccino rather than going on-line and trying to read a pdf file. So, give me a hard copy of View Camera ANY day of the week.

However, that said... the new magazine that Mike (MJSfoto1956) has just released is pretty outstanding and I'm happy to peruse that over a good cup of coffee.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!