I am in the market to purchase a 6x12 roll film back. My choices are Sinar zoom II multiformat back, Lihnof 6x12 and Horseman 6x12. Suposedly Calumet is now off ering a 6x12 back again, but I have heard from a few posters the quality is very poor. I only want to make one purchase that will last me a lifetime. Here is what I have learned, any corrections or addittional input would be helpful so I can make the best decision.

Linhof 6x12 Techno Rollex Film Back - Best price B&H $2,917 + $464 for 220 roll film insert - total price for 220 6x12 back = $3,400! Sure seems like a lot of money for a roll film back that only has one format? Can anyone explain to me why this price is so high vs. the other units on the market? I spoke to someone at B&H who claimed this unit was very heavy and the film alignment was not as solid as the Horseman or Sinar. There was a previous post in this forum that also suggested such...for those interested, -- Skot Weidemann October 29, 1999, under Film Holders.

Sinar Mulitformat Zoom II - Best pricing, $1850 Robert White, UK. Shoots 5 different formats from 6x4.5 to 6x12, uses 220 film. Expensive, but co nsidering I would only need to carry one back for all my roll film needs, quite convenient. And considering the costs of at least one other back for a more con ventional format, say 6x7, it reduces the cost down to $1200 for the 6x12 part. It fits in the back like a standard film holder and is not much thicker than a conventional film holder, no need to remove gg back.

Horseman 6x12. Best price $850 Badger Graphics, graphlock back, must remove gg back, only holds 120 film. But very competitively priced and good track record. I prefer a 220 back but at this price I can buy of them for the price of one L ihnof 220 back and have $1,700 left over for the a new Schneider Super Symar XL? Although extra backs take up more room in my backpack, so that is a considerat ion.

Although I can look at the spec sheets till I am blue in the face, I ne ver used any of these backs. I am leaning towards the Sianr... Anybody that ha s experienced these units that could offer input... it would be greatly apprecia ted... Thank you in advance.