Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Twin Cities, Minnesota.

Greetings from Twin Cities, Minnesota.

I see there are other Minnesotans here. I was pleasantly surprised by that. Could you ask for nicer weather for this colorful time of year?

I'm a Photography student, starting last January and one of my classes this semester is View Camera. Most of my friends in class don't think there going to like the view camera but I think I will like it once I know what I'm doing. It does seem a little intimidating especially since I can be a bit more forgetful as I age. I'm unsure what my area of focus will be but for Photo I, I enjoyed taking architectual photos. My instructor said the view camera works great for that.

Right now we aren't having regular class because he is evaluating us individually in one hour time slots. We need to set the tripod and camera up, explain all the parts, zero everything, compose and focus on the subject (an Illford box) and take a polaroid shot. He said he would help us with the film. My classmates and I have been practicing setting everything up. This site has helped me understand things better but so far we are having trouble getting the subject to line up right. I'm glad I'm one of the last to be evaluated so I can practise some more first. Wish me luck.

Linda

Re: Greetings from Twin Cities, Minnesota.

Good luck!

Not to worry, it gets to be a lot more fun once you're allowed to take pictures of things other than Ilford boxes....

Welcome to the LF Forum, Linda.

Good luck with your class. And, don't worry, all of the basic mechanics quickly become second nature.

Don't fret Linda, its a piece o' cake! Just wait 'til you get cut loose with that puppy---FUN!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the club!

Stick around on this forum and you'll learn volumes from the likes of Oren, Ralph, and John! They're the gurus!

And, if you're shooting 4x5 now... John'll have you into 8x10 soon enough.

It's all fun stuff!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Hi Linda,

Welcome aboard. Once you've gotten into LF, you'll never turn back.

Welcome! Good to see anohter Minnesotan here. Have fun with the class. You'll find a wealth of information and plenty of experience here to help with questions.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am anxious to cut loose. Once I get through the evaluation I can start working on our assignments that will be a lot more fun than the Ilford box. Our assignments will be 3 product shoots- Polaroid film only, B & W including enlargement, and color transparency. Also 2 Portraits- B & W including enlargement and color transparency. I'm already trying to think of something interesting to do for the products. When I get closer to graduation I will be doing an independent study of my choosing. The instructor said we can take the view camera out for this. If I like working with it like I think I will, I will probably do that.

So far I hear the students are all getting high grades on the evaluation. The instructor said the ones that got B's were marked down because They didn't set the tripod up in the right position and one person forgot to put the cloth over the camera to prevent light leaks. i would have thought it was positioning and focusing since that seems like the hardest part to get right. For Studio Photography's eval I had to go third because he went straight down the roster. I knew I needed time to practise with the view camera so I asked him to start at the bottom of the roster this time.

Looks like you all will be open to any newbie questions I may have along the way. I appreciate that and think you seem to be a great group.

Linda

Hi there. What school are you attending?

I'm curious (bad habit, I'm sure that someday it'll be my undoing,) but how many students are in your class and how many view cameras do they have for student use?

mjs