Thread: Quick review of Domenico Foschi and Kirk Gittings exhibitions

Quick review of Domenico Foschi and Kirk Gittings exhibitions

I had the pleasure of attending both shows yesterday.

Domenico's work was being shown at the San Gennaro street fair next to Hollywood High School, a celebration of all things Italian. Domenico had about 8 framed prints hanging indicative of his very emotional style. I'm not sure exactly how he achieves his trademark look, but the pieces are very effective in both texture and toning. The photos seem to come from a more artistic sense of place, than rooted in much of the realistic work we normally see from large format photographers.

He also had a collection of small matted prints (4x4 to 5x7 maybe, selling for $25), which were absolutely beautiful. Forest pathways, florals, stone arches, a seagull landing on a pier, stone angels...all richly printed and toned. There was also a matted collection of larger pieces, including a wonderful portrait of a young man, which were very effective.

I spent about a half hour looking at everything he was displaying. Unfortunately, Domenico wasn't around while I was there. It would've been great to meet him. I recommend that everyone go to his website and see the great work he's doing.

I sped across Hollywood to Freestyle Photo to see Kirk Gittings exhibit, "Presence: Uninhabited Places". I like Freestyle a lot...a big, clean store dedicated to film photography with friendly people. The gallery space is a real bonus...I just wish the lighting was better. The overhead fluorescents cast reflections on the framed glass prints and you have to jockey yourself into position to get a glare-free look.

But after you do that...wow! Kirk's prints (mostly 16x20s?) are so dark, rich and powerful. All that beautiful gelatin silver sitting in front of you makes you think of getting rid of all your computer stuff and hanging it all up. He's a master of moody landscapes and more, and the photos just suck you in. You'll want to look at all of them again and again...and I did. Seeing photographic art, done this well makes you realize that nothing can compensate for seeing it in person. No matter how well books are printed (and Kirk does have several wonderful books that are beautifully printed) there's nothing like being next to a richly toned (did I say dark?) print such as his.

The exhibition will be up until mid-November. If you're in Los Angeles, you must see it.

Next: A trip to the Paul Kopeikin gallery to see Chris Jordan's Katrina photos...

Re: Quick review of Domenico Foschi and Kirk Gittings exhibitions

Thanks for those wonderful words of encouragement. I don't often show outside of the SW and it is good to hear your feedback. The opening went well too. Freestyle management said it was the second largest opening they have had after Hunington Witherill. Cool.

Be sure to see Chris' fine work too. His work is timely and important.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    ...I just wish the lighting was better. The overhead fluorescents cast reflections on the framed glass prints and you have to jockey yourself into position to get a glare-free look...
    I strongly suggest that all exhibited prints be mounted under AR-coated glazing. Since Denglas went out of business earlier this year, the best source I've found is Tru Vue. Here's a summary of its products:

http://www.tru-vue.com/container/Glass%20charts.pdf

For silver gelatin prints, I recommend foregoing unnecessary UV-absorbing layers. Those appear to be films added to the glazing which, in my opinion, detract from transparency. According to the manufacturer, all TRU VUE AR REFLECTION-FREE glazing made since January 1, 2005 has been based on a low-iron substrate and is therefore essentially free of any green cast. Seems like what Denglas referred to as "water white."

If breakage in shipping or due to handling or seismic events is a concern, my preferred alternative would be OPTIUM ACRYLIC. It's reported to require more care in cutting than plain acrylic, but carries the same AR coating as Tru Vue's glass product.

I have no association with Tru Vue other than as a satisfied customer. I'm posting this as a result of visiting numerous exhibitions (though not Kirk's or Domenico's yet) and coming away disgusted with repeated viewing of my own image reflected in the glazing!
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 27-Sep-2006 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Since Denglas went out of business earlier this year

Sal, thanks for the update with recommendations re the Tue-Vue products.

Thanks for introducing me to the work of Domenico Foschi. Some of the images are really beautiful. His bio lists several photograpers whose work he studied while learning, and the influence of Andre Kertesz is plainly evident (in the best sense).
    My favorite is the bird on a ledge, (on his home page).
    I think that it would be quite informative to learn about his technique.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Hey guys, Domenico has a print on E bay dirt cheap! And it is one of the best ones from Venice IMO. So lets give the guy a hand huh?

Here is the Link, so bid, bid, bid...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1