Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 17" Epson Stylus Pro 3800 Printer

You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Re: New 17" Epson Stylus Pro 3800 Printer

Photokina should certainly be interesting, yes?

Bruce Watson

I am looking to buy a 7800. Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait until spring when epson might incorporate the advanced technology of the 3800 into the 24" size printers?

Thanks,
    ~Joel Belmont

HP has announced high end 24 and 44 inch pigment printers using a bunch of inks, so Epson will be under pressure to do something in response to the 7800 and 9800.

HP's new offerings may present a challenge to Epson but, for them to do so,HP willhave to prove to professional users that they have licked problems with their mechnaical functions that have plagued them in the past.

One additiona thought on the 3800 v. the 4800. All speculation of course since we haven't seen one yet but, the touted improvements in ink handling maki elittle difference if you use ImagePrint or Colorburst, both of which give you very precise ink control and all ow you to print either matt or glossy with whichever black you have loaded (although doing it all with Photoblack is preferred); same for the dot pattern they are touting. So, while I think it is a good value, I look at the lack of roll handling as the major factor and a big minus.

Does anyone know if the problems with Metamerism have been alleviated in the newer Ultrachrome inks ? Do the Canon printers suffer from this ?

I ask, because when printing on glossy paper, my Epson 2200 shows distinct metamerism. My profiles were doubtless done under daylight, a balanced light source - and work perfectly when the prints are viewed under daylight. But when I view my prints under incandescant light, there is a strong shoft towards Magenta.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 26-Sep-2006 at 07:11.

This may finally be just what I want. I am happy the the price is lower than the 4800, but the most imporant features are compactnes and lighter weight. Those will make it much easier to fit into my relatively small condo study where I do my digital work, and it will be easier on my arthritic back. I look forward to finding out about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by JoelBelmont View Post
    I am looking to buy a 7800. Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait until spring when epson might incorporate the advanced technology of the 3800 into the 24" size printers?
    I'd wait until Photokina is over to see what the manufacturers announce. That information will likely point you in one direction or another.

Bruce Watson

Ken, The answer to your question is that the new K3 inks almsot totally eliminate any metamerism problems that we used to see, that is with the Epson drivers. Any of the K3 inkset printers used with the right RIP will totally eliminate metamarism (and I believe that should be the case with the 2200 as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Does anyone know if the problems with Metamerism have been alleviated in the newer Ultrachrome inks ? Do the Canon printers suffer from this ?

I ask, because when printing on glossy paper, my Epson 2200 shows distinct metamerism. My profiles were doubtless done under daylight, a balanced light source - and work perfectly when the prints are viewed under daylight. But when I view my prints under incandescant light, there is a strong shoft towards Magenta.
    With your 2200 you are probably seeing more than just metamerism. On glossy the 2200 also has very bad gloss differential and bronzing. Gloss differential is seen where the highlights meet paper white, there is a clear distinction between the two. Bronzing is a "reversal" of ink density/tone in the shadow areas. Both are seen when the print reflects light at a certain angle.

The good news is the K3 inks eliminate 90+% of the above problems. My 4800 is a real workhorse and output is excellent.

The 3800 looks interesting...to bad it doesn't use roll paper. If it takes custom sheets longer than what is stated then it's an excellent value.

Wish I didn't have to switch the matte/glossy black carts...then the 4800 would be perfect.