Thread: Practical tips for selling prints at fairs?

Practical tips for selling prints at fairs?

We have a nice Louisiana state literary book and art fair each year. Last year's got knocked out by Katrina, so this will be the first one since Katrina. While I have not done this in the past, I think it might be fun to show and sell some Katrina prints. I am curious about how people price prints in this sort of venue - how many different prints verus inventory of each print, and pricing? I am assuming I will sell them matted to make handing safer. How do you display prints when you have the usual 6 foot table in the 10 foot space? Do you take orders when you run out of inventory? Is it necessary to take credit cards?
    Last edited by Ed Richards; 24-Sep-2006 at 11:22.

Re: Practical tips for selling prints at fairs?

I sold about 30 prints this year at the local small town arts & crafts fair. There will be additional residual sales. Maybe half were framed, half mounted and matted. Because the economy is mostly agricultural and the buyers not especially sophisticated, prices are kept to a minimum. For economy in production, I've only sold 11x14 B&W silver prints, dry mounted and matted on 16x20 archival board. Unframed prints are presented in zip-lock bags and priced at $20; in aluminum frames at $40. An increase in mat board and frame prices dictates a modest price increase in a year or so. Buying mat board and frames in quantity and cutting my own window mats leaves a modest profit. Doing this year after year brings repeat buyers. Selecting prints that are apt to please customers rather than my favorites is important. Long ago I built display panels that hold 32 framed prints in a 10x10 space. If I had to display on a 6' table, I'd improvise something like book ends, and stack the prints on edge so customers can leaf through them. Framed prints should be protected against damage by cardboard between each frame. I've rarely taken orders, and am not set up to take credit cards. In this locale checks are safe enough.

"I think it might be fun to show and sell some Katrina prints." Perhaps fun, certainly interesting, and lots of work. You'll never know until you've done it.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I've done a couple art shows and sold some prints. I only have b&w in two sizes, either 8x10 matted ($100) or 16x20 framed ($300). I do take credit cards and would suggest doing so if you can.
    Overall it was fun and I plan to do about 6 next season. Most of the prints are on a table that's covered with a nice cloth. The matts are wrapped in plastic, and people can thumb through them. I take about 3 copies of each print in 8x10. I only have about 6-8 of the larger prints. I have taken orders but usually they just pick another shot.
    Hope this helps.
    -Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

Thanks guys!

I display mine in crystal clear bags that I purchase at clearbags.com. They look very nice and professional looking.

When ordering, I get the bags with the sticky surface on the bag and not the tab. When they open to take the photo out then the sticky surface does not touch the print or mat.

I use white labels for sticky price tags the I type - from Office Max, or Office depot. I have put the price on the back, but now think it should be on the front.

I display them in black cloth/aluminum leg folding racks. Very nice looking.

Good luck,
    Jackie
    Last edited by jackies; 24-Sep-2006 at 21:07.