Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Epson scanning software, 4990

Problems with Epson scanning software, 4990

I have been trying to use Epson scan with my 4990. No matter what bit choice (48 or 24) or dpi (2400 down to 150), after the pre-scan, the software tells me I have insufficient ram to scan. Epson scan is the only software open. I have 2gb of ram.

I deleted the software and reinstalled. I also downloaded the latest driver from Epson and installed that. Same problem every time.

I can use Silverfast SE and scan at 2400 dpi, yielding 250mb files. I also have used the same machine with a 4870, scanning at 2400 and 48 bit (500mb files) and had no problems. Something is wrong with the Epson software or a setting in there.

Any ideas? Any input would be much appreciated.

Jim Ewins

Smile Re: Problems with Epson scanning software, 4990

I've been scanning from Photoshop (import) with no problems on my 4990

Re: Problems with Epson scanning software, 4990

I have experienced this problem with Epson scan and my 4990 when I was trying to scan through Photoshop using the TWAIN driver. At the time, I had 2GB of memory and allocated 70% of it to Photoshop. I was able to avoid the problem by running Epson scan as a stand-alone program, save the file as a TIFF, and then open it in Photoshop. Another option is to reduce the amount of memory allocated to Photoshop.

If you are already running Epson scan stand-alone and not scanning through Photoshop, then the only suggestion I can offer is to try turning off ICE, grain reduction, and so on.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

I have tried it both using the Twain driver and as a stand alone with everything on my computer closed except Epson scan. I get the same message in both cases. Everything is turned off. I don't like using any of the features such as ICE, etc.

Reggie99

What operating system are you on? Also, might be worth doing an uninstall/reinstall if you haven't tried that yet. Check Epson's site for updates, too.

I am using XP Pro. Prior to posting this, I did the uninstall and reinstall and am still having the same problem.

I tried the Epson software when I first got my 4990 and it worked fine with CS2 and XP. From all you've said I think you've just got one of those unexplainable computer glitches where one thing is incompatible with another thing but that would take an inordinate amount of time (not to mention expertise) to solve. I realize it's aggravating but Silverfast AE is IMHO better than the Epson software so I'd just use it and forget about the Epson.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I meant Silverfast AE, not SE.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Harley:

Here is one thought -- a long shot though. Do you have another scanner attached to your system? If so, try disconnecting it and re-booting.

XP only allows one instance of winscan open at a time. If you have another scanning device attached to your computer it can keep a second scanner from operating properly.

And FWIW, an "all-in-one" printer, copier fax is a scanner to XP and takes up that lone winscan tag.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Jack,

Thanks for the idea, but no other scanner. Just a laser printer. I have emailed Epson tech support and I am curious to hear what they have to say. I typically don't have a lot of confidence in tech support for anything out of the ordinary.