Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm ready to start from scratch... a new film

I'm ready to start from scratch... a new film

I've been trying different emulsions and different developers and trying to run tests for the past year. And then I'll get on here and read about a different film that gets good reviews and then I'll start over and try that film.

So it's time to quit this non sense and start from scrath. This is where I'm at. I've tried Tmax, FP4, HP5, Delta 100, 400, and Fomapan 200, in various developers. I'm ready to start from scratch. I want to pick one film and one developer and stick with it through all testing for at least a while ( two years or so).

I shoot 4x5, and mostly landscape, rustic architecture, and industrial photography. I'm debating between Delta 100 and Fuji Acros 100. I don't mind paying more for the quickloads. I liked the Tmax but don't trust Kodak to keep making it much longer. The Delta was good, especially in 400 (120) but I didn't give it long enough til I moved on to something else. HP5 looked too muddy for me.

I'm wondering on suggestions people have for me. If I do choose either Delta or Acros, I'll need suggestions on developers. I'm developing with hangers in 1/2 gallon tanks, 6 sheets at a time.

I think my condition is called CTSBD..... chasing the silver bullet disease. and I need to settle on something I think I'll like.

Thanks for any and all help!

Re: I'm ready to start from scratch... a new film

Tri-X and D76 or HC110.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Acros in HC110E has worked wonderfully for me in recent experiments. I'm shooting 35mm, mostly, have plenty of APX100/TriX/PanF+ in store, about to add some Acros bulk to that list and, if my wallet allows it, loose Acros 4x5. For low light work, the Acros is hard to beat, I would think. I haven't shot any TMX, but that is apparently a nice one as well, in terms of grain and reciprocity.

I believe I can live without the PanF and APX once my stores are depleted, and stick to Acros. It's such a nice film and handles very well in HC110E.

But, I'm a novice at LF, so perhaps there's something better kicking around that I'm not aware of. I'll put my 2-cents in this post and then make way for the elder shooters.

C.
    Last edited by nelsonfotodotcom; 21-Sep-2006 at 17:16.

If you've spent a year at this you know more about film and developer combinations than 90% of the people here, certainly more than I do. FWIW, if I were choosing only one film it would be a 400 speed film rather than a 100, the extra stop or two of speed comes in very handy with landscapes and breezes.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Eric Biggerstaff

I think every combination you have tried is great. Was there not one in the bunch you were happy with?

What you say about getting one combination and sticking with it is spot on as far as I am concerned. Most of the films you mention are fine, and I wouldn't worry to much about Kodak not making your film of choice.

You mentioned once in a different thread that you liked FP4+ in Rodinal, why not stick with it? That is a great film and by the results of the recent poll it seemed to be the favorite film by this user group by a wide margin.

Each film will work fine as far as I am concerned. Tri-X in HC110 or D76 has been a long time favorite with many well known photographers, but it really comes down to what you want to try.

It may take a few years to really get to know the film well. I shot HP5+ in Xtol for about 6 years and really liked it. I recently switched to Delta 100 in DDX 1+4 and it too is excellent, but I am just learning that one.

You are right, there are no magic bullets.

Good luck and stick with it, the more you use one combination the more you will like it. And remember, have fun.

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I began my Grail quest with FP4, which I really like but I often shoot low light so the reciprocity was killing me.

I switched to Acros and love it (the best reciprocity; available in loose sheets from Megapearls). A friend gave me some TMX, and I find that it is very similar to Acros.

I have started a night project and after my preliminary tests I am very happy with TMY, at least it does what I want it to do.

So once I have finished my stock of various films I will standardise on TMX and TMY and one or two developers, to be determined by upcoming testing.

So far I have tried HC-110 and D76 and am very happy with HC-110.

But after reading many posts and the Film Developing Cookbook, and being a curious and thorough person I will test Rodinal, XTOL and Pyrocat-HD with TMX, and using semi-stand Rodinal and Pyrocat-HD with TMY. From these I will choose one or two developers, or go back to HC-110 for both films.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 21-Sep-2006 at 20:12.

I've done hi-dilution in HC110 with nice results. I am probably risking getting kicked out of here for posting samples off 35mm shoots, but here goes.

First, TriX @ 400 and HC110 1:100 for 28mins @20C
    Constant agitation for 1 min, then 3 inv each 3 mins, final minute in constant, gentle agitation.

Last edited by nelsonfotodotcom; 21-Sep-2006 at 20:01.

One more from that set. I get nice blacks with this routine. I'm scanning, not printing, so your mileage may vary.

Here's FP4+, same dilution/routine. 120 format.

Last edited by nelsonfotodotcom; 21-Sep-2006 at 20:10.

If you find HP5+ to be muddy, then you haven't found the right developer or you haven't stuck with it long enough with a developer you tried it with. You need to take one film and one developer and stick with it for a few years....not take a bunch of films and a bunch of developers.
    I've been using HP5+ for quite a few years now and it certainly isn't muddy. I've found that it performs beautifully in Xtol 1+1, and Pyrocat-HD. Some people use Rodinol with great success.