Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some direction with Large Format camera

Need some direction with Large Format camera

First, let me appologize if this is not the place to ask this question. However, since this forum is dedicated to large format photography, I decided to seek guidance here. I am not a photographer, but my father (88 years old) is.

He has a Linhof Technika V ( I am not positive on the model, but have done as much research as I could on the subject) with two Schneider lenses and most of the necessary accessories.

My dad wants me to sell the camera for him on eBay, but I suggested he first find out if any professionals or large format afficionados have any suggestions.

I would like to know where is the best place to sell such a camera? Can any of you suggest any web sites that might help me determine the value of his gear? Also, one of his lenses is a convertible lens that I beleive has a problem. I am trying to contact Marflex to see if I need to send it to them. The black bezel on the lens is rotating to the left, thus throwing off the apperture settings and messing with the operation of the shutter speed. Is this bezel supposed to move?

Thanks for your help, and again, I appologize if this is not a good place to post this message.

Re: Need some direction with Large Format camera

KEH Camera Brokers gives online or phone estimates on equipment, and their website has much LF gear for sale for comparison purposes:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/SellYourGear.aspx

Thanks for the lead.

If you can post digital photos, this forum has a for sale section. I think people would give you a reasonable idea of the value if you ask first, then offer it for sale at "X" date to the best offer.

This avoids the eBay fees and helps build this small community. Everybody wins. Try to sell to a "known" person - i.e. someone who has participated here for a while, as that will avoid the outright scammers, although as the seller you have the upper hand (always get paid first, don't accept returns unless something is clearly wrong and don't make a refund until you inspect it.)

A clean Technika V with a pair of vintage lenses will probably be in the $1000-$1250 range unless they are truly mint or very trashed.

Frank:
    Thank you sir. I will see if I can post some pictures tomorrow so you can see what my dad has. He has taken meticulous care of his equipment and I would guess that his gear is in great shape, except for the question I have on the convertible lens. Just looking at its operation, I am not sure what the problem is.

Oops, I stand corrected. He wants me to pictures tonight, so they should be up shortly. I may put them up on a web site to save you guys bandwidth on the forum. I greatly appreciate your comments.

BTW, I am all too familiar with the scammers etc. My hobby lies in vintage audio gear and there are plenty of folks in that area that love to take advantage....which is why I came here. I certainly would prefer a buyer who can really appreciate and USE what the equipment really is, not just someone who wants to buy low sell high.

Thanks again.

You can always run a Ebay "completed auctions" search to see what similar items have gone for in the past...

Cyrus, yes, I did that but could not find that specific camera. Also, I could not find one with various lenses and attachments. I did find a Master Technika which went for $4300 if I remember correctly, but it was a Master and had more lenses etc.

The hastily taken pictures can be found here http://www.prontoweb.com/Linhof/Linhof.html and should give you an idea of what it is and it's basic condition.

The last time the camera was used was about 28 years ago. My dad has since had it in a case in his home.

Thanks for all the help.

It is definitely a Technika V. I think the outfit is worth around $1350 to $1500, depending upon whether the shutter is OK, the rangefinder is bright and working properly, and the bellows is supple and lighttight. eBay prices will vary ~33% plus or minus either way depending on luck, timing, and the quality of your ad. I don't think a dealer would offer more than $7-800 tops, and be more likely to want to trade for a digital camera. If you do a good ad and have good photos, plus luck and timing, I've seen similar outfits go for $1800 or so on eBay. But I've also watched them go for $1100.

The shutter is probably OK or an easy repair and overall it looks great from the photos. The roll film back needs to be identified better (which format and size) and the reflex viewer is always a strange, difficult item to sell, but they certainly add value to the outfit. Unless the film holders are metal Linhof ones, they are inexpensive items.

Why not post a for sale ad here for a few days and see what happens? You can also post on photo.net and maybe apug.org. After that, go to eBay or lower the price.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy81
    My hobby lies in vintage audio gear
    Really?!? I work professionally in post-production film audio as a re-recording mixer. So when you say this is your hobby, exactly in what way? What kind of gear do you have or are you into? I have a variety of gear at my home studio, but I have to say the coolest vintage gear I have is a Sontec 250C EQ. This baby is a beauty. Are you familiar with this EQ?

Anyway, I'm curious so I thought I'd ask and see what you're into.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto