Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about 450mm lenses for 5x7

Question about 450mm lenses for 5x7

I use a 5x7 Linhof Technika. Does anyone out there have first hand experience with the Nikkor M 450 f/9 AND the Fujinon C 450 f/12.5. I have the specs but I am interested in differences in sharpness and whether the slower Fuji is a problem when focusing.
    Jerome

Eric Woodbury

Re: Question about 450mm lenses for 5x7

I have only used the Fuji. I think it is a wonderful lens and as sharp as any. It is not hard to focus. Probably easier to focus than my 72mm/5.6. With a 450mm lens, the light is impinging the ground glass at a near normal angle, making the ground glass very efficient.

The other thing about a 450mm is that by the time you stop down for a little depth of field, you are probably diffraction limited or certainly less than optimum f/#.

Fuji sure is lighter and smaller than the other.
    Last edited by Eric Woodbury; 20-Sep-2006 at 09:31.

I don't find it difficult to focus the Fuji 450 f12.5.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Another very satisfied customer for the 450c Fuji, although I use it on 4x5, not 5x7. The Nikkor M has quite a few devoted followers also, and has the larger image circle of the two, although it comes in a Copal #3 shutter (vs. #1 for the Fuji), so 4x5 and 5x7 users may prefer the Fuji for this reason.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot
    Another very satisfied customer for the 450c Fuji, although I use it on 4x5, not 5x7. The Nikkor M has quite a few devoted followers also, and has the larger image circle of the two, although it comes in a Copal #3 shutter (vs. #1 for the Fuji), so 4x5 and 5x7 users may prefer the Fuji for this reason.
    The chart for 5x7 lenses shows the Fuji image circle at 486mm and the Nikon at 440. Is that wrong?
    Jerome

I like my Fuji for 5x7 and 8x10. All report that the Nikon is a little better, but twice the size. Mine is sharp and contrasty..EC

I'm another happy 4x5 user of the Fuji. I am always pleased by how small and nice it is and find it very easy to focus. I expect it would be equally good on 5x7.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photographs42
    The chart for 5x7 lenses shows the Fuji image circle at 486mm and the Nikon at 440. Is that wrong?
    Jerome
    Forum users report that published Nikkor image circle specifications are very conservative. The Nikkor-M 450 will cover up to 12X20, while the Fujinon-C 450 will cover up to 7X17. The same relationship holds true for the Nikkor-M 300 vs. the Fujinon-C 300. This is based on the experiences of several regular users of this forum, and image circle is a somewhat subjective topic when we consider the edge of the usable circle being less sharp. It depends on application- obviously, contact prints that are not going to be enlarged can get away with a slightly softer lens.

This is a moot point for 4X5 and 5X7 users though, since both of these lenses will provide more image circle than most people could ever use.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Although the Nikkor-M is in a Copal 3 shutter, it is a comparatively small lens. In addition, it is increadibly sharp open wide, massive coverage, very flare resistant, and produces a nice neutral bokeh (very important with a lens this long unless you will be stopping down past f64 all of the time).

If size and weight make a difference to you then go for the Fuji. If they don't then get whichever you can get the best deal on. I use a 450M and my decisions when I bought it were based as much on price (it used to cost less in the used market) and the slightly brigher viewing as on anything else. I wasn't happy with the idea of a #3 shutter but considering all the other gear I lug around it didn't bother me all that much. I have been using the lens for several years and have been very impressed with its performance. It replaced a very late 480 Schneider Apo Artar that Steve Grimes mounted in an Alpax #5 shutter for me. The 450 outperforms the 480 in every way. Note too that my experience with the Apo Artar is not typical and mine was robably a lemon.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 20-Sep-2006 at 17:41.