Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary processing and developer choice

Japan Exposures

Rotary processing and developer choice

My Xtol has turned yellow as I am not using up 5 litres quickly enough nowadays, so I need something that comes in lower quantities.

Living in the land of photographic plenties I thought I should try Fuji's recommended developer for Acros, Microfine which comes in 1 litre sachets.

Since I am using a Jobo 2500 series drum on a Unicolor base I was wondering whether some developers lend themselves to rotary development more than other, or the opposite, even give bad results and should only be used with inversion tanks. Can anyone advise from knowledge or experience?

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Rotary processing and developer choice

I have been using Ilford DDX with Acros in my Jobo 3010 and it works very well. I rate the Acros at 200 with this combination and my meter. I have switched to liquid concentrate developers for the reasons you note above.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I have had good results with Acros in a Jobo 3006 with D76 1:1.

Japan Exposures

Thanks. How about my actual question on whether rotary and inversion get the same results from any developer? Are any important developer properties lost or gained with constant agitation? That's what I want to know.
    Last edited by Dirk Rösler; 19-Sep-2006 at 17:44.

Developers that oxidize are going to be a problem in a rotary system, otherwise it should not make any difference, once you get the time adjusted for the more efficient mixing. How long does the xtol last for you? I am curious - it is so cheap that it still might be the best and least expensive choice, even if you throw some away.

Dirk, with some film/developer/dilution combinations you get a compensating effect with intermittent agitation compared to continuous rotary development. The most extreme version of this is extended stand development, which I've never messed with but about which you'll find threads here and over at APUG.

My current choice is XTOL, and I learned to process my collection of negatives with fresh chemicals over a long two day period, but sometimes my patience does get the better of me, when I wish to see a certain negative.

I prepare my 5L XTOL and the "other process solutions" the evening before I begin the development process. I separate my XTOL into 500ml bottles. I use 2.5L of XTOL each day, where I use 500ml of XTOL 1:1 to process two 8X10 negatives. I will, however, create new "other process solutions" for day two. My XTOL, other process solutions, and negatives are quite fresh this way.

Unfortunately, I can only process two 8X10 negatives in my Jobo 3005, because my current cheap motorized drum roller has a limited cyclical motion. When I process my negatives during this two day event, I find my repeatability increases significantly, and I am less prone to temperature and processing errors.

jim k

Japan Exposures

Thanks chaps. Ed, this Xtol was mixed 2 years ago, which is obviously excessive. Perhaps you are right, I should stick with it as I am familiar with it and like the results and should probably dilute less to use up faster. Plus it is not the most toxic thing to shrow out, fortunately.

Oren, I have messed with stand-development in Rodinal, but not with sheets. I think I won't bother with sheets.

Jim, I really like your approach of mixing and developing on schedule. In summer it is too hot here anyway to get decent temperature and I know some photographers use some seasons for shooting and others for processing. I like that.

Since I now have it I shall try the Microfine anyway to see how it will turn out on the Acros.

Hi Dirk.

You might consider mixing up some 510-Pyro; it works really well with Acros and rotary processing, has an extremely long shelf life and very high capacity, so you can safely use the minimum volume of developer required for even development with your process. 510-Pyro contains no sulfite, to which designer grain films are more sensitive than traditional emulsions are. You can expect very sharp negs from Acros/510-Pyro 1:100/ 7min/ 70F. Good luck.

Jay

One Xtol tip - for $20 US you can buy a 10 liter plastic tank with a floating lid and a spigot on the bottom. Sure beats messing around with all of those small bottles. Keeps it for months. You can process at up to 80 degrees.