Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fired up my homebuilt enlarger!

Re: Fired up my homebuilt enlarger!

I like it. I built a 4x5 enlarger once, then bought a MCRX because I thought I was lacking in rigidity, function and initial cash displacement. Turns out I couln't tell the enlargements apart... Just a thought, but you might want to think about a dedicated power outlet for the light source. Those power strips are notoriously fickle.

I stop down the lens to f32 when enlarging, so my exposures tend to be on the long side, although I made two with the lens wide open (f4.5? - I'll look and verify) while testing - one is the detail on the porch in my first post. The times at f32 are around 1 1/2 minutes for the enlargement factor shown in the second example, using a number 3 1/2 Ilford contrast filter hand-held under the lens (have to make a holder), and about ten seconds with the lens open (or the time it takes to realize that ooops! I forgot to close down the lens, better shut the light off right now!). I don't know the wattage of my lamps, but will find out and post.

The power strip is a temporary necessity, as there is no power now where I have my darkroom. An electrician wanted several hundred dollars to split an unused 40 Amp, 220 volt circuit into 20 amp 120v to give me several new outlets for my tools and for the darkroom (a lot more than I could pay). This is something I'm working on, as is providing running water to it (I bucket-carry my water from the shop sink now). The enlarger is plugged into the Gralab timer (via a white extension cord). The timer is plugged into a wall outlet in my shop. The power strip powers my safelights, digital timer (an alarm clock with seconds readout I keep on the bottom shelf for tray-processing sheet film, etc., not the enlargers. The unplugged cord is from my Omega B-8 enlarger, normally plugged to the Gralab.

The fluorescent strips were two pre-packaged sets of under the counter lights that came with plug-in connectors so the can be wired in series, bought at Home Depot. They may actually be eight (two packages of four seem to be what I recall). I looked for wattage on the package but did not find it. One mistake I made was to screw the difusser to the rim of the light box, so to count them now I would have to unscrew about 12 wood screws - I should have hinged it for easier access!

As you can tell, I'm not new at development/printing, but I'm not a professional, and I am very new to LF. I have a lot of learning to do, and appreciate all this feedback very much.
    Last edited by Rafael Garcia; 17-Sep-2006 at 07:32.

90 seconds at F/32 isn't bad at all. Little over 20 seconds at F/16

You might be able to come up with a mechanism to adjust the base board by about one shelf unit step. If control was fine enough you would have your fine focus control at the baseboard and and a stepless enlargement.

This is a creative solution, and lit looks like it will meet your needs perfectly.

Graham, you have seen through the "box"! What a fantastic idea! I will do it... Thanks!

By the way, I was right initially on lighting: Six Hampton Bay brand under-counter light fixtures, 8 W each for a total of 64W as my cold light. The lights are sold as a package of 3 (Model 7108) Bulb replacement is RB8T5 or F8T5.

Sounds pretty good. I would have expected closer to 100 total watts. Maybe I should use less bulbs then I was planning-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia
    a) Shelf brackets and standards - around $20.00
    b) Under-counter fluorescents - around $ 50.00
    c) Threaded rod, carriage bolts, knob, aluminum bar stock - maybe $30.00
    would cover it
    d) Vinyl blackout shade (the bellows are four sections of shade taped with gaffers
    tape and then covered in left-over fabric from my focusing cloth) - $2.00
    e) Sheet of 2x2 fluorescent light diffusser (used a piece below the fluorescents to
    diffuse the light). - $2.00 maybe
    f) 210mm Schneider Componon 5 x 7 enlarging lens - eBay for $50.00 (lucky day)
    g) negative carrier made out of two cheap 5x7 picture frames - $4.50
    ...Making kick-ass prints in your basement: Priceless.

Sorry, happen to like that ad campaign.
    --A

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson
    You might be able to come up with a mechanism to adjust the base board by about one shelf unit step. If control was fine enough you would have your fine focus control at the baseboard and and a stepless enlargement.

This is a creative solution, and lit looks like it will meet your needs perfectly.
    So, here it is...the Graham Patterson Micro Focus Enlarger Baseboard!

It was simple to put together: The old threaded rod routine, a second top with sides to prevent rotation, and camera case foam blocks (partially compressed) to act as shock absorbers against wobble. It gives me about 1/2" of fine focus movement by turning the wood knob under the baseboard, which should be enough to rough focus with the head focuser and fine focus at the easel. Again Graham, thanks for a great idea!

"...Making kick-ass prints in your basement: Priceless."

Yes sir!
    Last edited by Rafael Garcia; 17-Sep-2006 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536
    Sounds pretty good. I would have expected closer to 100 total watts. Maybe I should use less bulbs then I was planning-)
    I would not mind having more watts. Focusing on long extensions with dim light gets difficult with my old eyes. I am considering buying a grain focuser for the first time in my life! If you can put the 100 watts in, go ahead and do it, it will be better.

Rafael,

I salute you and your ingenuity! What an excellent idea. Respect!

Cheers