Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price of film and paper in the future!

Re: Price of film and paper in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald
    I'll go out on the limb again:

I just finished testing the Chinesse "ERA 100 PSS" 4x5 film against Tmax TMX100. It is an identical, 1 to 1 replacement for TMX for quality, exposure, development, density, graduation, grain, detail and graduation. Side by side I can not tell the difference besides the film notches.
    Do they make a 400 ASA film?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow
    I often find myself with finger on cable release, asking myself if this image is worth the cost of a sheet of film.

Then I remember spending $6 on breakfast, $60 on a motel room, $25 the night before for dinner, and gas driving 8 hours to get there...

Snap.

Film and paper are cheap compared to the opportunity. I can live with price increases, I can't live with lack of availability.
    Well Said!!!

Gary

Yes, unfortunately as volumes go down the cost of film and everything else photographic will only go up. I already miss having Nikon 35mm film cameras available. Oh yea, and I really miss being able to pick up the phone and having a box of Azo at my door in 3-5 days.

I just hope and pray that Kodak and Ilford keep making quality films. I know JandC will be filling a much needed void in the market when they start coating their own films and papers, but nothing compares with Kodak and Ilford Quality Control. I don't think I've ever experienced a sheet or roll of Kodak or Ilford film that had a QC problem. I don't think users of the Eastern European manufacturers can make the same claim.

John

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen
    I just hope and pray that Kodak and Ilford keep making quality films. I know JandC will be filling a much needed void in the market when they start coating their own films and papers, but nothing compares with Kodak and Ilford Quality Control. I don't think I've ever experienced a sheet or roll of Kodak or Ilford film that had a QC problem. I don't think users of the Eastern European manufacturers can make the same claim.

John
    Yes - exactly. I've used Forte pan 400 out of - Hungary I think. Anyhow, very nice film once you get used to it, but I noticed in the past the place I buy it from has had some Q/C issusesat one point.

Still you never know. I have this past summer bought a couple of items (non-photo related) made in what we would call the former "east Europe" and I notice the quality of these products is very high. At this point, I would not have a problem buying a consumer item mad ein Hungary, Czech Rep., Poland, etc. Considering the quality of Russian optics I have used in the past (binoculars, telescopes, etc), I almost wish the Russians would make - and properly market - some large format lenses.

add to that i just bought 100 sheets of Forte Pan 400 this past summer, I think the future looks good.

The other issue, as I see it, is variety. I use three B&W films - Tri-x, HP5 and Forte Pan 400. Price and and availabity has nothing to do with my choice here - all three are mail order for me. But each film has it's own unique "look" that is not matched or reproduced by any other film. It's that difference in tonality, shoulder to toe response, etc, etc, that makes a film desireable. Depending on the situation and subject matter, I sometimes will shoot a different film. Or, for say one place I am shooting, I might shot it with two or three different films. It is often facinating to see how different each film affects the mood of a shot, and how that mood affects your final print.

Future looks good to me

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Ron,

"Do they make a 400 ASA film?"

I do not know. I just hit the 'buy it now' button on ebay for the goof and was very pleasantly suprised, so I ordered 4 more boxes.

I do know that Kodak invested about $50 million into China plus the technology and training and China has leap-frogged passed Eastern Europe in B&W film. They are making a really fine product. It would be well worth it to J&C, Freestyle and/or Ultrafine to check out a distribution partnership with ERA.

As far as the cost of film and paper:
    Is there actually 1 once of silver in a box of 8x10 film???
    How much fuel do they use to grind up cow bones for gelatin???

The cost of film is whatever the market will bear, they still make it by the mile and sell it by the inch. I just paid a dealer in Taiwan $8 for a box of film, he bought it for $4-6 from a dealer in China, who bought it for $3-4 for a distributor, who bought it for $1-3 from the factory. So much for the COST of film, it's all mark-up and taxes.

Have a great weekend people.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald
    I do know that Kodak invested about $50 million into China plus the technology and training and China has leap-frogged passed Eastern Europe in B&W film. They are making a really fine product.
    Kodak's investment was with Lucky, and made a huge difference in the quality of Lucky films; the current production SHD 100 and SHD 400 are quite acceptable, and IMO very similar to the Plus-X and Tri-X we used to get in the 1970s. I don't like them quite as well as Foma and Forte, but I like them well enough that I keep some SHD 400, 120 size, in my freezer.

It would be well worth it to J&C, Freestyle and/or Ultrafine to check out a distribution partnership with ERA.
    I agree, and I'm confident J&C are keeping an eye on that possibility, but with the investment they must be making in coating their own film, I don't know if they'll be adding more imports to their line very soon -- not to mention that there might potentially be a bias toward European brands, given their product line is prettly closely matched to that of Fotoimpex, their sister company in Germany.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D