Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mido Film Holders Reborn???

Mido Film Holders Reborn???

While persuing eBay, I cam across the following text at the end of a listing for a 10ž" Dagor (Item # 130026823414).

"I am the inventor of the Mido Thin Film Holder. I will be remanufacturing them, Inquirely welcome. Thin film holder of any size from 4x5 and up can be manufactured as long as the original sample holder is furnished."

I sent the seller (eBay ID: 10pura) a message offering to send a sample 4x10 Mido II holder and asking how much new 4x10 holders in the Mido II style would cost and how long it would take to make them.

My interest is sincere. I'm shooting 4x10 again and would love to take a 4x10 camera on some extended backpacking trips. While I am fortunate to have several beautiful 4x10 Lotus holders, they are considerably heavier and bulkier than the Mido II holders. I did have problems (excessive light leaks) with the Mido II holders I used with my 4x10 Wisner back in the mid-1990s. Hoever, I believe the problems were manufacturing/quality control issues, not design issues. If the manufacturing/quality control issues can be worked out, I believe the design has promise.

What I find most unusual is that I was told many years ago that Mr.Mido, the inventor of the holders that bore his name, passed away after a prolonged illness (unfortunate as he seemed like a genuinely nice person). So, who is this person on eBay claiming to be the inventor of the Mido thin film holders? Is it a relative or business associate of the late Mr. Mido? According to their eBay ID, they are located in St. Louis, which is where Mr. Mido resided when I corresponded with him in the mid-1990s. Are they sincere about their efforts to re-introduce the Mido thin film holders. Hopefully, I will get a response to my inquiry. Incidentally, a couple years ago similar type listings showed up on eBay. I sent an inquiry then and never got a response. I don't recall the eBay seller's ID and no longer have a copy of my original inquiry.

Anyone else out there know anything about this seller or the current status of Mido film holders?

Kerry

Re: Mido Film Holders Reborn???

I saw an ad like this a couple of years ago and I also inquired and received no reply. As I recall, he was selling modified Mido holders for odd formats, like sheet film holders for rollfilm formats that would require cutting down rollfilm.

The original maker was Shin-ichi Kumanomido, his original address was Pershing Ave in University City, St Louis (a good few years ago)

My understanding from someone who knew him well then was that he did indeed pass away....

That auction you mention in 2002 or so did also say the person was the original maker of the mido holders....

(BTW - the 8x10 mido's I have have been doing fine - there is a real knack to using them. Once that's licked, the light leaks seem to go away - mind you, this summer I learned not to transport them long distances by car while loaded (and possibly tightly packed...) - the film and the darkslide are so close you can get abrasion on the centre of the film)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Hi Kerry,

Glad to hear the possibility of additional 4X10 holders being available, as I'm currently looking for some. Please keep us posted if you find anything positive!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Good news for Mido fans. I just had a phone conversation with Mr. Kumanomido and he is, in fact, alive and well and living in Olivette (St. Louis) very close to my office. He did have a very serious illness a few years ago but is now doing well and is indeed the person who placed the item on ebay.

He has the original dies to make 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 4x10 Mido holders and can make any size if you are willing to pay for the dies (that would be rather expensive but if there were enough demand it might be considered).

I mentioned this forum thread to him and said to let you know he was back in business. He can be reached at:
    Shin-ichi Kumanomido
    816 Aldan
    Olivette MO 63132

Phone: 314 567-5520

Jerome

Wow! This is amazing. I was sure he had passed away, too. I have a set of 8x10 Mido II holders and like them (although my 8x10 work is all collodion these days, so I don't use them very often). They are a little finicky, but once you get the hang of it, they're great.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Quote Originally Posted by photographs42
    He has the original dies to make 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 4x10 Mido holders and can make any size if you are willing to pay for the dies (that would be rather expensive but if there were enough demand it might be considered).
    Considering the price of 11x14 film holders, it might be worthwhile making the dies, if enough people would order the film holders. But then, I have never seen a Mido film holder, so I don't know whether they would work for ULF. I also don't really understand the references to getting the hang of the way they work before good results can be expected. What is there to get the hang of?

If someone gets ahold of him, please post price and availability of his various holders.

4x10? With Fotoman coming out with their camera??? Kerry, you dawg, you!

cool! "rumours of my demise" etc...
    Last edited by tim atherton; 14-Sep-2006 at 08:48.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Paul Butzí's site has info on Mido holders and comparisons to Fidelity and Graphmatics.

The weight of 6 loaded Mido holders is 27.6 ounces, 6 loaded Fidelity 36 ounces. (28.3 grams per ounce)

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/filmholders.htm