Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Geyser/Ranch + Lake Tahoe

Re: Fly Geyser/Ranch + Lake Tahoe

Assuming Fatali's picture was taken on the planet Earth, I am pretty sure that when the moon is close to new; i.e. crescent, it would be almost opposite in the sky from the sun. Full/new moon sets in the west when the sun rises in the east.

I think it would be impossible to have a crescent moon and the rising or setting sun 90 degrees or less apart. Regardless of the sun and moon position, I would have bet money that this picture was manipulated anyway. Every picture I have seen from Fatali looks like it has been taken on another planet!

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong
    In the while, here is a riddle for all of you: is Fatali's "Earth Spirit Rising" unmanipulated ?
    I think he faked it too. And this one I suspect also http://www.fatali.com/gallery/details.php?id=75&gid=5& I took compass readings when I was there last year to determine if it could happen, but I have not gotten around to checking on it since...

He's also got the geology wrong on this - "Ancient Sea Beds" http://www.fatali.com/gallery/details.php?id=52&gid=6&
    Actually, "Ancient Sand Dunes".

I don't think it's unreasonable for the new moon to appear that close to the sun. I have observed a similar situation around sunrise at the Winter solstice.

That said, talking about a different picture, he claimed to have made an 'accidental double exposure'. Accidental? Hmmmmm.

However, I'm pretty sure Fatali manipulates his prints to ehance colour. I have seen many other shots by other photographers from the locations he has shot and none show the same degree of colour saturation. Not even Dykinga's.

There is the issue of lunar position relative to the sun, and then there is the issue of exposure differential - I don’t believe that a crescent moon would take the shape of a sharply-defined crescent on film in the time it took to make that exposure.

The moon can take a curious path. Currently in SE Alaska the moon is rising vertically in the northern sky, then sinking to the northern horizon, but not setting - pure lunacy. This pattern is to continue for some weeks. There’s an article in today’s Anchorage Daily News (www.adn.com). (Warning: you may have to register to find the article.)

Unfortunately, there is no article detailing multi-second exposures rendering a crisp crescent moon on film – also pure lunacy.

Can someone tell me how to photograph into the sun and still have detail in the areas that would seem to be in shadow? At least they are in all of my attempts.
    Also a couple of images he took two exposures, what is the purpose of that?

http://www.fatali.com/gallery/notes.php?id=16&gid=2&
    http://www.fatali.com/gallery/notes.php?id=82&gid=2&
    http://www.fatali.com/gallery/notes.php?id=2&gid=2&

Well, if I want to do that sort of thing, I would use a neutral density grad. Works a treat. I expect he took two exposures of the Havasu Falls shot and merged them later in his darkroom using some form of masking. An ND grad would be almost impossible to use in a shot like that.

Hallo to all from Germany,

is there any update in getting acess to Fly Geyser Ranch ? I know that we have to ask for Bill Spoo in Gerlach. Is this still correct or is there any other possibilty to get in contact with Bill ?

Frank

I'd skip Virginia City itself, though there were some good opportunities just south of it on the approach from Tahoe. My favorite Nevada location when I was in Tahoe was actually about 70 mi east, Thunder Mountain Park. Not your style, but wow, is it bizarre.

Saratoga, CA

It has been several years since I photographed Fly Ranch Geyser but there is/was a crane parked close to the geyser. I wonder if Fatali hauled his 8x10 up it to get that perspective? If he did, he a brave sole!

As far as the sun and moon, I guess it’s possible. I took the attached in, I think, July (boy was it hot!) shooting ~southeast and the sun is setting behind me and you can see the moon in the upper left. Rather than speculate, I guess I could email him and ask.

Gale

As far as I know, all of the moons in his shots were put in in the darkroom. A good photog friend of mine talked to him and thats what he said. In regards to the "earth spirit rising"shot, its obviously a secondhand moon, whether a double exposure, or darkroom we can't tell. But when you have a crescent moon showing at sunrise or sunset, the moon has to be quite close to the sun, and more so above it, not on the horzion with it. Same goes for the "back of beyond" shot. Cant have a crescent moon that far away from the sun, especially on the opposite side of the sky. The crescent has to face the sun, thats why its illuminated the way it is.