Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Geyser/Ranch + Lake Tahoe

Fly Geyser/Ranch + Lake Tahoe

Does anybody know how to contact the owner of the Fly Ranch (where the Fly Geyser is located). I took an OK image of it years ago http://www.terragalleria.com/america....usnv9129.html
    but I'd like to return at sunrise with a wide angle lens.

Also, any suggestions for interesting places around Lake Tahoe at this time of the year ? I am aware of Emerald Bay/Eagle Falls, Sand Harbor, Zephyr Cove, Virginia City.

Tuan.

Re: Fly Geyser/Ranch + Lake Tahoe

Tuan,

It might not be what you're looking for, but you might consider Aloha Lake in the Desolation Wilderness. Its part of the Tahoe Rim trail.

If you're going up 80, theres Castle Peak (or is it Castle Rock?) across the hwy from Boreal ski area.

If you're going up 88 through Jackson the area between Silver Lake and Meyers has some interesting sights, especially that big meadow with the old corrals between Kirkwood and the turn off to South Lake Tahoe (hwy 97--Luther pass? gosh I've forgotten most of the roads up there!)

Another place that will get you into the typical Tahoe granite/white fir enviroment quite painlessly is to take the gondola from Stateline all the way to the top----easy hiking to the East Peak lift and theres probably not a lot of crownds during the week now that school is back in session. The Woodfords area and the Carson river are also worth exploring. You can ask at the Cutthroat Saloon in Woodfords for directons to scenic areas only the 'locals' know about (of course they might not tell you anything---very unpredictable those Woodfords folk!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Come to think of it, if your visit jives with an "s" wave, the East Peak lift might be good place to get some great cloud shots. I think the Heavanly Valley ski resort was a web cam on East Peak you can go to on their website.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I was at Fly Geyser a couple of years ago, and there was a BIG, metal fence along the road and an RV parked on the property. Lot's of "No Tresspassing" signs. I didn't go in.

I heard you could contact the BLM office in Winnemucca and get contact info. And of course, there's Bruno's Restuarant in Gerlach that you can ask and they probably know.

Hopefully the BLM will be able to make a land trade of pruchase the property and make access easier for there.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong
    Does anybody know how to contact the owner of the Fly Ranch (where the Fly Geyser is located). I took an OK image of it years ago http://www.terragalleria.com/america....usnv9129.html
    but I'd like to return at sunrise with a wide angle lens.

Also, any suggestions for interesting places around Lake Tahoe at this time of the year ? I am aware of Emerald Bay/Eagle Falls, Sand Harbor, Zephyr Cove, Virginia City.

Tuan.

I grew up in Gerlach and now live in Reno (about 100 miles south of the geyser). A group of coworkers just went and shot the Geyser with permission. Unfortunantly, I couldn't make it. I'll find out who they contacted and get back to you.

While you're out there, you should definately get some shots of the playa.

They contacted the nevada sierra club.

Photographer

Keith Pitman

Oops ! I'll self-suspend myself for a week :-)

In the while, here is a riddle for all of you: is Fatali's "Earth Spirit Rising" unmanipulated ?
    http://www.fatali.com/giftstore/post...ils.php?pid=7&

Thumbs down Re: Fly Geyser/Ranch + Lake Tahoe

Can't say: Is that the sun to the left, or a fire he's started?

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I smell a dura-log!
    Brian Vuillemenot