Thread: BTZS article for View Camera

BTZS article for View Camera

I have just read the thread on the proposed BTZS article in View Camera and despite the fact it seems to be closed I have a couple of comments.

I'm in the USA now for a month shooting BTZS, it is my chosen method because it works.

The idea of an article is excellent and I do support the concept but even though I understand the system very well I didn't devise it and wish to make this following point.

I recall watching or reading [jet lag] an article on Ansel Adams where it was Ansel Adams personally who explained his system of exposure back in the 60's or 70's in the article.

He was the source. Phil Davis is the source for BTZS and as such Phil is more capable than anyone to comment on the way his system works.

Surely you as a magazine editor would at least try to get Ansel Adams to advise on the technical of his system if it was possible?

At least get Phil involved as your technical advisor. I have spoken to him from australia and he has always been more than helpful.

I could personally write you a comprehensive article with images from my perspective but, and this to me is a big but -- if I use incorrect "language" to describe some aspect of the process I could inadvertantly add to an interested person's confusion on a very worthwhile subject. I know BTZS very well but I now use the WinPlotter and ExpoDev software.

As for a parade of images, that won't really satisfy any serious photographer. The system is devised to provide a photographer the ulimate in consistent image control with a totally repeatable process regardless of the medium [silver or alt process]. Please don't lump BTZS as just an exposure system, it isn't. BTZS is a complete image production tool based on measured sensitometory to provide amazing consistency.

This issue carries a lot of passion and the debate is often fuelled by half knowledge or no knowledge of BTZS.

Initially BTZS has a steep learning curve but only because you need to learn to think the way the system has been devised. I had to do exactly the same when I first used and tested the Ansel Adams zone system.

BTZS and for that matter the Zone system are not however a salad bar where you pick and choose the bits you want. If you do that you will join the ranks of suck and see photographers complaining either of the systems don't function --- "for me".

Please Steve, in fairness at least [if you haven't already] involve Phil Davis. Ansel Adams, Fred Picker, Minor White and Phil Davis are authourities in their field and all lend weight to the discussion.

I do wish you success with the article and hope to be able to read it.

Re: BTZS article for View Camera

It is my undrsanding that PhilDavis and Fred Newman will review the article.

This is a photo magazine so I always try and have images.

steve simmons

Let me chime in behind Steve. I will be the one editing the article. Fred Newman and I talked at length about the article last week. Fred and Phil will indeed review it and I will be in constant contact with them as the article progresses. I am not doing the bulk of the writing but will be there in the background to make sure that nothing gets off track and no editorial bias creeps in. Let me also add that Jay De Fehr is NOT the author.

Many have explored the BTSZ over the years since Phil devised it. There is no doubt tht the mathematical rigors that it applies to the exposure and development process can solve problems for some in ways that other systems cannot. The purpose of the article is to open the BTSZ door wider so that more LF photographers can get a feel for its potential and application.

Steve, as I go through the rigors of getting this done your comments are welcome .... please email at will.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 12-Sep-2006 at 14:01.

This is all I wanted to know, you should have chimed in before. My only objection to the article was that someone completely ignorant of the BTZS and biased was going to edit it. Many of us have been after Phil to publish a BTZS lite to overcome the initial misconception that the system is too dificult or too cumbersome for a few years. If this article is reviewed and approved by Phil, and manages at the same time to transmit the message that this is really a very simple system then I wish you and Simmons all the success in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris
    Let me chime in behind Steve. I will be the one editing the article. Fred Newman and I talked at lengthabout the article last week. Fred and Phil will indeed review it and I will be in constant contact with them as the article progresses. I am not doing the bulk of the writing but will be there in the background to make sure that nothing gets off track and no editorial bias creeps in. Let me also add that Jay De Fuhr is NOT the author.

Many have explored the BTSZ over the years since Phil devised it. There is no doubt tht the mathematical rigors that it applies to the exposure and development process can solve problems for some in ways that other systems cannot. The purpose of the article is to open the BTSZ door wider so that more LF photographers can get a feel for its potential and application.

Steve, as I go through the rigors of getting this done your comments are welcome .... please email at will.

I am locking this one too .... I hink it has all been said now so let's just move forward.