Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you NEVER throw anything good away...

Why you NEVER throw anything good away...

A few months back, my dichroic head for my Beseler 35MX died. After getting a quote on fixing it, I bought a cheap condenser off of Ebay and resigned myself to using that. I finally decided the dead head was taking up too much room and hauled it off to the metal dump. But before I did, I pulled out the diffusion chamber. Hated to see that go and I figured someday somebody might need it.

Last week a similar head came up on Ebay that was missing its diffusion chamber and wouldn't close because the lockdown toggles were broken off. I got it for thirty-eight bucks, including shipping. As soon as it got here, I popped my diffusion chamber in, got two drywall anchor screws and locked the cover down and fired it up. I spent all day playing with my newly ressurected toy. Works every bit as good as the original did before it died.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: Why you NEVER throw anything good away...

Thanks, Michael. Would you explain that to my wife, please??
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Sorry, Donald. Can't do that. Even after this unusual success, my wife STILL insists I hog too much of our mutual living space with my darkroom, my two 8x10 view cameras, my two 5x7s and all the related paraphernalia. All she does is get mad when I point out how much space her $%*&&$ parakeet cage takes up. And at least my Toyo doesn't SQUAWK!!
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves
    Sorry, Donald. Can't do that. Even after this unusual success, my wife STILL insists I hog too much of our mutual living space with my darkroom, my two 8x10 view cameras, my two 5x7s and all the related paraphernalia. All she does is get mad when I point out how much space her $%*&&$ parakeet cage takes up. And at least my Toyo doesn't SQUAWK!!
    Michael,

Sounds like the time to do an expansion project...

Good save on the rescued toy by the way!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Ain't touchin' this house. Except to spruce it up. We're planning on selling it in the spring and buying a house out in the country. One of the requirements for the new house is that 1) I get a room dedicated to a permanent darkroom (a waterproof basement will do just fine) and 2) She gets a room dedicated to her $%$##^^$#$ birds. Damn things are like an alarm clock that goes off at 4AM in the summer.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Michael, we are on the same team. I have been collecting "darkroom stuff" at bargain basement prices over the last few years as people go digital. For example, DeVere 504 (50 bucks), Durst 138s (50 bucks, including Rodenstock 105 and Scheider 210 lenses), Jobo, trays, dry mount press, spiffy contract printer, etc., etc., etc. It has been driving my wife nuts, piled up all over the basement, but I just started work on the permanent darkroom and now have great stuff to put in it.

Ain't touchin' this house. Except to spruce it up. We're planning on selling it in the spring and buying a house out in the country. One of the requirements for the new house is that 1) I get a room dedicated to a permanent darkroom (a waterproof basement will do just fine) and 2) She gets a room dedicated to her $%$##^^$#$ birds. Damn things are like an alarm clock that goes off at 4AM in the summer.
    Sounds like those birds are in need of a good dry-lube.

Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Sounds like those birds are in need of a good dry-lube.
    Nah, dry lube won't help 'em. They need a good heavy coating of PAM spray, followed by a drying the coating in a 400 F oven for about an hour (parakeets don't take long to cook, er, dry, they're really small). Won't ever hear another squeak from 'em after that treatment. And besides, you'll have all those house walls between you and any remaining birds after the first treament is completed...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I love this forum!! You start out with a discussion on putting together a working system from leftover parts and get lots of good recipies for brisket of parakeet. Where else can that happen?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Michael,

In addition to the darkroom... don't forget the wine cellar!

LOL - as for the bird... get yourself a cat!

Don't cats LOVE tweety birds?

Just kidding!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!